Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

excessive string breacking...help

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassist286, Nov 23, 2001.

1. bassist286

bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    I'm really getting pissed off now. i have finnnly went over the edge. i have a string breacking problem. i have a warwick thumb bolt on and i go through a set of strings in aobut two weeks. Which i can handle, i mean who says bass is cheap. well i am finally pissed off. ripped an enrnie ball set of custom string up in 3 days probly 8 hours of playing. the gaugaes were 1.10, .85, 70, 60. thet biggest strings i could find. ihave tried evey string brand the deammarklies blue steal frozen one's. elixers. warwick. dr's.... everything. noting works i took my bass to the shop and had the guy inspect my bridg to seee if there were burs that he could file down or soemthing. but nope clean as a whistle. he said the only real way to solve my problem is the ligheten up my playing style. and not to be so agressive. so i have lighented my thumbing and still no luck. can some one help me out maby with an extreem string brand that last well maby then a week. it driveing me crazy and it consumeing all my cash...help!

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    When your bass is set up ok, it's your playing technique.

Use a lighter touch, let your amp do the work.
    Your tone and speed will improve.

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    A 1.10" E string? Now THATS a string!!! ;)

Lighten up your playing...is it that hard?

4. a 1.10 E is not a string it's a freaking telephone wire!

5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Are you playing with a hacksaw?Like everyone else has said,lighten up your touch.

6. Offbase

Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    Man, I don't know WHAT you're doing, but I've never broken a string in my life, and I've got a pretty hard attack! Forget having your bass looked at -- no offense, but you're obviously abusing it. Like the other guys said, lighten up on your attack.

7. leper

leper

Jun 21, 2001
    i did the same thing when i first started playin...had hte bass checked all fine...eventually it came down to my technique.

What i did was to turn up the amp all the way and then practice playing as absolutely quietly as possible by myself, and with the band playing at the appropriate volume (again with the volume maxed).

worked for me, but you gotta be careful you dont blow your amp up :)

8. Heres a question for you. Is it always the same string in the same place or is it sporadic breaking on every string. I would think that if it is the same string all the time, it is definitely a problem with the bass, but if not it is <b>definitely</b> your style.

9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Or lack of it. It makes me wonder if during his fits of gear-purchasing that he neglected to PRACTICE, and therefore never acquired the finesse it takes not to break lots of strings (which isn't a whole lot of finesse...). Curious, isn't it?

10. Gudforniet

Gudforniet

Jul 14, 2000
    San Ramon, CA
    at GC the other day i was lookin at a warwick thumb bolt on. i asked the guy how soont he strings usually break on them. aparently warwick uses cymbal brass on their frets and it tears the sh*t out of your string. imagine melting ur drummers cymbal and it on ur bass. ;)

11. Now is that really necessary Angus?

12. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    you know...i had the same problem on my thumb. and while lots of it was my technique, which i fixed, i also inspected the saddles and noticed they had a really really sharp edge. so i took a file and rounded them off and it helped a lot.

so i'd start by inspecting your saddles, then take everyone elses advice and try lowering your action and playing lighter.

jason