Exchange an Ampeg SVT 610 HLF for a Aguilar DB 410, should I?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by andbaggio, Jan 21, 2019.

Should I switch?

Poll closed Jan 31, 2019.
  1. yes

75.0%
  2. no

25.0%
  1. andbaggio

andbaggio

Dec 16, 2011
    Treviso, Italy
    I have an Ampeg SVT 610 HLF that I want to sell in order to get something more convenient to carry around since the Ampeg 610 has become a little too big to carry around.

There's this guy that would like to give me his Aguilar DB 410 for my Ampeg. I don't know the Aguilar amps and cabs so I don't really know whether I will like it or not.

I like the old 70s rock vintage sound, warm and a little overdriven that I can get from my GK 700-II RB with the Ampeg 610 with a little help from the Source Audio Aftershock pedal. My question is, will I be able to have this similar sound with the Aguilar or is it too different from the Ampeg? Should I do this exchange? Please give me some advices. Thanks

2. The DB410 will still be heavy, just smaller. But if it’s an even trade I’d make that trade without thinking twice if I was in the market.

Garret Graves likes this.
  3. Looks like the two cabs only have a 17 lb difference in weight.

I personally find my 610 easier to move since its taller and I can just tip and roll it. 410s (even with casters) tend to have to lifted more in my experience.

If you do make the trade do it because you like the sound of the Aguilar better than the Ampeg. If you make the trade based on getting something that is easier to move I think you might be disappointed but YMMV

P_Robyn likes this.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Aguilar makes very nice stuff, but the one thing I didn't like about the DB410 is when you turn the tweeter off, you don't get nearly as much high end out of the woofers as you do with the 610hlf. You might want to look for a 410he if you want to retain the sound you're getting with the 610hlf.

5. andbaggio

andbaggio

Dec 16, 2011
    Treviso, Italy
    Heavy is not a problem, smaller is good. So you're saying you'd make the trade. Cool, thanks for your opinion!

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2022