Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

exchanging fender s1-switch ???

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Domokun, Apr 6, 2005.

1. the s1-switch on my jazz always gets stuck, which seems to be an all-around problem, and i´ve already consulted fender
    via e-mail in order to inform them and to find a solution to this
    malfunction. sadly it seems they don´t take care of their customers that much, since a week has past after my inquiry.
    lubing it , as some have suggested, might be a proper solution. but in spite of that i intend to replace the s1-knob with a standard jazz bass knob since the s1´s appearance does not appeal to me. :rolleyes:
    now my question:
    will a standard knob fit on the s1- pot so can modify it to a decent push-pull contraption or is there a difference in the measures of those knobs. :eyebrow:

2. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i think they are the same. i'm surprised you were even able to contact fender via e-mail.

3. haven´t found their adress , so i contactes their distributors in europe who represent the company :rolleyes:

4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I have both Jazz and Precision basses with the S-1, and on the Precision it's a metal knob, and is much more robust. It seems less likely to stick. I haven't had that problem on my Jazz, but the mechanism is pretty cheesy, so I'm not surprised in the least.

So I've thought about trying to convert all the knobs on the Jazz to the knurled metal Precision knobs. If that's possible with the S-1 volume knob, it might be a good solution. I think it would look pretty cool too.

I assume the S-1 switch is a spring loaded knob, so maybe you could install a stronger spring to prevent sticking.

5. i thought about replacing it with a standard jazz bass knob as i still want to use the parallel/seriell function. so just put a jazz knob on it and have it push/pull or is it needful to replace the pot :meh:

6. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    the jazz knob is plastic right?

maybe take it apart, and make sure there is no rough spots in the inside of the plastic housing which is making it stick. then, snad some of it down. maybe that'll help.

7. i´ve also thought about filing some parts to reduce friction :rollno:

8. Is it still under warranty?

9. yepp, but they won´t move their arses for a single customer. i bet the fender management is discussing right know how they will spend my hard earned money for their vacation. :cool:

10. s1-victims unite !! :p

11. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I think the S1 switching is gimmicky and lame... They should have just released them with a stdp switch or a push pull pot, its not in Fender's best intrest to re-ibnvet the wheel - they are the standards company... It also seems they didn't really road test the switching mechanisim - as no one heard of it untill the officaly anounced it...

hmmm...

Series/Paralel switching is great!!! But the system is lame...

Alex

ps. I am also with everyone else that finds it visualy unpleasing...

12. you´re right. i guess it´s more about psyching people up to make them interest themselves in their instruments. i will replace the s1 knob with a standard one. just hope it´ll work fine , otherwise i´ll have to replace the pot.

13. or they want their customers to constantly replace the s1s. would get them a hell lot of money just as warwick does with their waxing and polishing. :smug:

14. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    my friend had an issue with his s1 and he brought it to guitar center, they hung on to it for a month and fixed it fro free.

he asked them for a loaner, and they said no, he bugged out because he only had the bass for 4 months, so they let him use an 80's p-bass. i told him to just forget about the other p and just keep the 80's one, but he is a lot more honest then i

15. I'd call their service department and have them fix it. Try to fix it yourself you'll probably void the warranty and if anything goes wrong you screwed.

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Since this is repair and modification oriented, I am moving it to Setup.

17. woops , sorry ^^