1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Excitable Boy by Warren Zevon is a great album

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    My dad used to listen to this album all the time when I was a kid, and my favorite song back then was "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner."

Now I'm realizing the genius of the album as a whole. There are great tunes on there like "Veracruz," "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner," and "Lawyers, Guns, and Money." The bass playing is very solid, too, with guys like Sklar and Glaub.

RIP Zevon

2. flatwounds

flatwounds

Apr 22, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    Zevon was brilliant. I still don't have this album, but then again, I still don't have a job - and thus no money for albums at the moment.:(
    The album he released before this (self-titled) is also very good - the critics loved it, even if the masses didn't.
    His later albums are also pretty good. I really like My Ride's Here, especially the songs Basket Case, Sacrificial Lamb, Hit Somebody(the hockey song), and the title track. Also, his last album The Wind is also worth checking out, particularly the songs My Dirty Life & Times, Numb As A Statue, Keep Me In Your Heart. And Zevon's cover of Knocking On Heaven's Door makes me want to cry everytime I hear it.

3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 I had the treat of hearing him at a venue in St. Louis (Mississippi Nights) years ago (early 90's) and it was awesome. He walked out on stage with his band, and.... there was Timothy B. Schmitt on bass... totaly surprised the audience. Warren sounded great, and he let Timothy do 'I can't tell you why'... which brought the house down (that was prior to any sort of Eagle reunion).

I love technically complicated music and virtuoso playing, but sometimes, well crafted tunes with solid playing can be much more satisfying:)