Excited about giving a bass for Christmas

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by oatsoda, Dec 22, 2015.

Tags:
  1. My little girl, now 12, and not so little, has expressed some interest in the bass, which I don't have to tell any of you who are parents, is cool for a bunch of different reasons. She has monkeyed around on the old P some now, but as she's on the slighter side, reaching those notes down towards the headstock, not to mention supporting the weight for any length of time, is a chore, (hey, like it is for a lot of us!).

Been looking several months for a clean used short scale at a good price to go with the little Eden EC8 that I bought and hid away in June, and last night was rewarded with an Epi SB0 that fits the bill. Now honestly, when I dragged it back to the shack I wasn't expecting much sound wise. Before plugging it in, I degunged the fretboard and gave a cursory polish to the chrome and paint. Didn't look half bad. Then put the strings back on, plugged it in, and was really quite surprised by how good it sounds. So now I'm really getting excited about Christmas. DSCF3595.JPG

rogerbmiller, GregC, JJR58 and 3 others like this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Woohoo! I bet you'll be so proud when she starts to play that thing!

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Very cool story she is going to be very happy and that's a nice drum kit you have there.

4. Just a cheapie, also picked up used. Got it for my 10 year old boy, though I must admit I like to bang on it a bit myself. I met a guy early last summer who agreed to come out to the shack once a week to give him a lesson. An optimistic guy, and a great teacher with a lot of patience. He took off in the fall for a jazz masters program in Toronto, and we miss him. His first time here, he took a few minutes and tuned the heads, and what a difference in the sound! Still looking for a suitable teacher to replace him. The guy who teaches in the hole over the local music store has no passion or joy, and even if he was a gifted drummer, I'm just not paying a dollar a minute to submit my son to that negativity, that hard done by angst.

Ajapses and SirMjac28 like this.
  5. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Good call on getting the right teacher it makes a huge difference.

6. Ajapses

Ajapses Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2013
    Cleveland, TN
    Can't figure out Madden football
    Great story, Dad. It's amazing that when it happens to your kid, it happens to you, too.

7. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    Nice. Short scales tend to sound really big all else equal given the lower tension on the strings. There is more boom IME.

Great gift. She will surely enjoy it.

8. I agree, (from what I can remember), though I haven't honestly owned a short scale since about '85 or 6. I had a white Cort Slammer bass back when I was playing in a gigging high school garage band, and used it as back up to the Roadstar 2.

rogerbmiller likes this.
  9. JJR58

JJR58 Dirty Bird

Dec 2, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY.
    Wow, that is great!, wish i could see the look on her face when you give it to her.

You're a good dad.

10. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Gave one of those (and a short scale SG guitar) to two of my nephews. Super cool instrumens for the price and great for kids. I knew what I was getting as I already had my Epi Viola by then, which was a superb buy at 195€.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021