exciter? enhancer? maximizer?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Dec 23, 2001.

1. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I use SansAmp BDDI into Rane DC-24 compressor into Stewart power amp. I also have a tc electronics 1140 parametric EQ in my signal path, but I rarely have the need for additional EQ.

I've heard that the various enhancement devices take good tone and make it better using electronic voodoo (time alignment, even harmonics, whatever). I was going to ask about BBE vs. Aphex, but a check of the archives turned up a mention of a dbx Spectral Enhancer or some such.

Anyway: I haven't yet had a chance to A/B (or A/B/C) any of these devices with bass. Before I set out on the audition process I thought I'd ask here for advice/recommendations. TIA
  2. Fuzzbass

Good point. The thought did cross my mind, but I've read comments along the lines of "tightened up the bottom end", "same tone but better clarity", etc. So, I'm curious!
  3. Fuzzbass

The Alembic has been my main tone machine since ~1985, but after 15 years of trouble-free performance it's in need of repair for the 2nd time in 14 months. Maybe the freshness date has expired? :D Seriously, I just gotta get it fixed again.

I'm still curious about the various enhancer devices, but you're right: I certainly don't *need* any additional signal processing.