Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Exciting new Clarus/NE-1 rig!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jsonnenblick, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Hi, y'all. After years of searching for a small, lightweight, hi-fi jazz rig for electric and fretless, I think I've finally bought something close to perfect:

-Acoustic Image Clarus head
    -Yamaha NE-1 parametric EQ box (for sweepable mids)
    -Bag End S15D cab/Flite 3-way
    (I have both; don't know which one will sound better yet)

Seems like the Clarus' main drawback in reviews has been lack of flexible tone control, so I'm hoping the NE-1 will work well to correct that.

The gear is coming by UPS today and Monday; I'll post a whole-rig review as soon as it's all set up.

I also bought a bigger rig for rock, which hasn't come yet either. . . so now I have like $1200 on my credit card, and I'm playing thru a Peavey practice amp!!!

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    definitely let me know how the clarus works for electric. i was thinking that a sansamp would probably do the trick for electric on it - but i hadn't thought about the NE-1.

let me know how it is when it arrives!

jason

3. Yeah, I thought about a Sansamp BDDI, but those don't have a midrange control, and I got spoiled by the sweepable mids on an SWR 350 I just sold!

If you're looking to get more rock-style grunt out of the sound, then I think the SansAmp makes sense. I just want good control over a clean sound. Also, I have 2 soapbar-equipped basses that sound too thick for my tastes if I don't cut out some low mids. . .

4. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I've had my clarus for a about 3 or 4 months now and this little baby is perfect. I've used it at studio rehearsals and for live gigs and all with an electric bass. I use a Sans Amp BDDI and the sound is wonderful, I run the Clarus flat because I usually tweak my sound from the instrument and/or the Sans Amp if I'm using it.

For me it's the center piece of a versatile rig. I use it with a single SWR WM 10 cabinet for low volume stuff. For larger volume requirments, I use a SWR Goliath JR and a Flite 15" with a midrange, both cabs are 8 ohms. Using this configuration, the clarus puts out 200 watts and the volume was good for the venue that I was playing.

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    :eek: !!!!!!

phil, you have pretty much the exact rig i want!

sansamp -> clarus -> goliath jr. (4 ohm)

i like the sound of clean tubes, so i don't think i could run the clarus without a sansamp or similar.

how loud is it? any tonal comparisons you would make?

...must supress GAS...... :D

jason

6. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    I actually wish with this set up I had a 4 ohm Goliath Jr. because then I pull more power out of the Clarus when using the 15, but it was enough to be heard and felt about 70 feet away with the volume up about half way(which may mean nothing, depending on how the power rolls on). Tonal wise, my bass sounded like it should to me, which is what's important to me.

7. Phil,

Do you run the BDDI thru the effects loop of the Clarus, or between your bass and the Clarus?

My Clarus and NE-1 both showed up yesterday (ONE DAY by regular ground shipping from NY and NJ to Pennsylvania -- thanks, UPS!), and all I know so far is that the parallel effects loop on the Clarus pretty much wipes out the effect of the NE-1. . .

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Json ~

You could get a SansAmp Accoustic DI, which does have a semi-parametric mid control. I occasionally use it for fretless, and it's great! Also, have you tried just putting the NE-1 between the instrument and the amp?

I got an NE-1 for $30 at one of those GC blowouts. It's an interesting thing, but is almost a "one-trick pony." Further, for some reason, I'm still not playing like Nathan. Maybe the thing is busted.

9. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Same experience! The Plynth bass through the Harlequin tone shaper gave me the scooped mids I was desiring. Though the cabinet is old it did almost project like a folded horn with a Thunton Power bass head. The 300 watt one. Thanks to you all in the colonies for the great posts.

10. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    I run it between the bass and the Clarus.

11. Phil - not to derail too much from the topic, but how do you like your Flite cab? They seem very interesting but I've never seen or played through one, and I would love to know what you think of them. Are they very efficient (i.e., loud)?

I can kinda vouch for the Clarus - I really like my Contra, especially when I push it a bit harder with an extension cab (Bergantino 1x12). Although the Contra's cabinet configuration is unique (semi cylindrical cabinet, 10" downfiring woofer, 5" forward firing midrange), I feel that the amplifier (identical to the Clarus) has a lot to do with the clean, even, open tone that I found very appealing. Your rig sounds looks awesome! Let us know how you like the sound!