1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Exciting New MM Pickup and Pre From Mojotone

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassman28, Oct 12, 2013.

1. bassman28

bassman28 Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2010
    North Carolina
    Everyone who has seen my profile knows I am a huge MM fan and collector.I heard all of the attempts to create that magic 70's MM tone and never quite got it until now.I just got to play the prototype MM setup created by Dave Shepherd and Mojotone and was blown away.This is the only aftermarket pre with the reverse audio pots like the original which makes all the difference.The pickup was recreated with the same resistance as the original pre EB. I was blown away as it truly captured the rich tone with a true recreation of the pre EB preamp and boost / cut tone controls.This one was the 2 band model with the volume,bass,treble and jack plate layout but are going to make a Volume,bass,treble,series/parallel switch for the control plate and the separate jack to mount on the body plate underneath so you won't have that dreaded open hole if you have a 3 band you are converting to 2 band.These will be available very soon from Mojotone and you can talk to Dave personally.The price will also be very affordable.Get in line and get your MM pickup and pre on pre order now.This setup is a step above any other I've tried and you will not be disappointed. Made in Burgaw NC USA by hand. Pics later
    P.S.These are the same guys who are making Geddy Lees Knockout jazz pickups and my personal luthier.He is the best.

2. bassman28

Dec 31, 2010
    North Carolina
    Bump

3. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Have been eyeballing the Knockout P bass pickups. Hmmm...

4. bassman28

Dec 31, 2010
    North Carolina
    I have a youtube demo under Greg Taylor mojotone

5. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    So that's you. I watched that. Really like how they sound. Pretty growly, which is what I like. I think I like them better than the classics.

Payday is Friday so I guess I'll decide then.

6. I've been looking to upgrade my OLP 5 string-i bet this would be perfect!

7. Can you guys post a link? I can't find any info on this anywhere, and i only find demos for the P and J on youtube

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Just curious...what makes these different from all the other MM pickups and preamps out there?

neptune likes this.
  9. bassman28

Dec 31, 2010
    North Carolina
    The difference is the reverse audio pot which are like the original pots the the 70's pre Ernie pre's for a true boost/cut which the other brands don't have.Mojo had these custom made for this pre.They are in the final stages of the release of them and yes what an upgrade for an OLP.They are not on the site yet but you can call Mojotone for more info.

PawleeP likes this.
  10. Jim Dandy

Jim Dandy Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2009
    It's been over 2 years since the last post and I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with these.

11. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    not worth $100 because of cheap components and pots. you can make your own using better components for around $12

12. Jim Dandy

Jim Dandy Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Thanks for the information BassLife77!

13. I ordered one today so we will soon see! If they sound as good as Greg says we in business!

14. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    What's the word?

15. It works well but I'm selling it in the classifieds
    It's more mellow than I want
    It's still cool though!