1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Exclusively fretless.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'm sure this has probably been done before, but I don't care. After a brief flirtation with frets over the last year, I'm back to being exclusively fretless. I'm so glad those little metal speed bumps are out of my life - this time probably for good. I've decided to celebrate a little bit by starting a exclusively fretless thread. Perhaps it could be a club, but I don't care to deal with numbers or administrative duties or any of that nonsense. I just want to extole the virtues of avoiding frets and to show off a few fretless instruments.

Behold!

l_98eb6b937a4f6d2e0faa9ce98fa21c8b.

l_38c83ea940cde330722500b4ecab1ed7.

l_891051bbb12e552090ad746aa60ca038.

Surely I can't be the only one here who doesn't like frets. Who's with me?

2. BryanM

BryanM

Dec 15, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I'm exclusively fretless, I was playing fretted for a little while when the pickups on my VMJ fretless crapped out, but I threw that neck on an SX P and don't bother with the tiny, metal nuisances anymore.

3. Beta

Beta

May 9, 2007
    Fretless with a Trans Trem. That's awesome.

4. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    You bet your sweet ass it is.

5. Moving towards it. Once I get better at tapping on fretless I probably will.

6. steve21

steve21 Banned

Any luck finding a fretless Bongo, Ben?

7. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Not yet. I trust that one will fall into my lap when the time is right.

8. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    I've been keeping an eye out for you, Ben. I've seen a few lined 4HH's and an unlined 4H, but no unlined 4HH's. I'll be sure to PM you if ever I run across one though :)

9. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Sweet. I've got 90,000 bassists on the case for me. That's awesome.

10. When I picked the bass back up after a 20+ year hiatus in 2005, I opted to go fretless...
    Haven't looked back...loving every minute of it!
    I really am keen to try a Rickenbacker fretless!

11. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

I've been wrestling with these thoughts lately myself because I recently re-discovered the joys of playing fretless and my two fretted basses are not getting used as much as my one fretless. I do realize that there are times and types of music that will dictate using my fretted basses but whenever I can I will grab my fretless first.

George

12. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Envy! Envy! Envy!

13. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I'll play.
    My baby. GWB1 with ACG preamp. She SINGS! and growls, and punches.
    [​IMG]

I'm not quite exclusively fretless. I try to take out my fretted at least once every 2 weeks or so, because she's a sweet bass too. I'm even doing some slapping again for an excuse to play her (I personally don't like to slap on fretless anymore, though I know it can be done).
    Performance - I'm at about 80% fretless. Might go 100%, but there are some songs where I play and sing complex contrasting parts, and they're just easier for me to nail on fretted.

14. I just took my first build (5-string, fretless) out for it's first official session yesterday afternoon and it was GREAT!!! I wasn't expecting to take to it as quickly as I did being that I play primarily fretted basses and haven't played fretless regularly for many years, but it was like riding a bike on a very smooth, speed bump-less street!

P1010005-5.

I even thought after the session that I could easily go 100% fretless, but I think that's just initial infatuation. I still love my fretted basses and cannot imagine not playing them.

15. podoh

podoh

Sep 4, 2007
    Leuven, Belgium
    What's the name of this beauty?

16. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    That's an old Ovataion Magnum II that I modded - to the consternation of many on these here boards.

17. Oh yeah!

IMG_0872.

18. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    I'm afraid of fretless.
    I can't even tune my bass without a tuner.

Sometimes I wish I could.