Exclusively playing fretless

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jeff2287, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Jeff2287

May 4, 2002
    First, my appologies to any administrator who decides that this belongs in a different section. My mistake.

Anyway, are there any bass players who exclusively play fretless? What I mean is, are there any players who played fretless as their main instrument? People who also used fretted on occasion still count. I'm just curious of who mainly plays/ed fretless. (Skip Jaco, he's an obvious answer)
  2. Yes, I've played fretless basses exclusively since 1976, including 4, 5, 8 and 12-strings. You see can see them here. I own one fretted bass, it feels really unnatural to me so I hardly ever play it.
  3. Despite many attempts to find a fretless bass that I connected with, it wasn't until last year that I found the right one. I use a fretted bass for the occasional slap/tap/pop work, but other than that I now play a fretless 5 exclusively.
  4. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I did for a few years, then went totally fretted and now play both again.

Percy Jones is my fave all fretless player, Marc Egan, Patrick Djivas (with a pick!), Richard Sinclair, Bunny Brunel, Carles Benavent (also with a pick) and all the others I'm spacing on.

Alain Caron on the UZEB recordings almost always slapped on fretted and played fingerstyle on fretless. Rarely if ever crossing over so he kinda fits.

Here's some real player links for Carles, the first is called Bluestorius ;)

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Tony Franklin was my first real fretless influence. I heard "Radioactive" from "The Firm" in the 80's and I was hooked.

They are still a band I wish did more. Paul Rogers + Jimmy Page + Chris Slade with up front & eerie fretless by Tony Franklin. :bassist: At least I got to see them live in 86
  6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I play fretless about 90% of the time.
    fretted if I slap.
    I play fretless in any situation.
    Percy Jones
    Pino Paladino
    Tim landers
    Richard Bona
  7. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    I have been playing fretless exclusively since 1993. I just love the look of an unlined clean fretboard. The jazz bodied one is my main working bass.
  8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  9. some people have been saying that they play fretless for fingerstyle, and fretted for slap. It seems logical, but does anyone know of any bass players that regularly slap on a fretless? The only two I can think of are Bakiti Kumalo and Michael Manring.
  10. dveeus1

Jan 7, 2001
    DFW, Texas
    I have been trying for years to turn fretless into my main instrument. But, whenever I get frustrated I go back to fretted.

I have been shedding fretless ever since I got my new bass in October.

My major Fretless influence is Jimmy Haslip. Followed by Jimmy "Flim" Johnson.
  11. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've been thinking about going fretless out of spite, myself.

To spite whom, I'm not sure, but I DO know fretless'd tick them off something fierce.
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah, I think it is in the right place now, but it was originally in Basses.
  13. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    An added bonus: a lot of flatwound strings have heavier gauges (I see a tapewound sets that are 55-115 for EADG) which sits well with detuning and whatnot.

A fretless 5 string seems kinda appealing, now that I think about it.