1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

excuse me for flipping out, but...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tfernandez, Oct 11, 2010.

1. tfernandez

tfernandez

Jul 5, 2010
    http://orlando.craigslist.org/msg/1953354256.html
    what am I gazing upon? I understand extended range basses with 12 strings, but a 12 string bass for octave/other interval tunings? 8 strings don't shock me, but a 12 kinda threw me a curve-ball there.
    I can't even imagine re-stringing and tuning this beast :bag:

ok I'm done know. please continue with your business :cool:

2. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    You could tune it from EADG, and have the strings tuned a major 3rd and a minor 5th from the root or any number of intervals and triads for weirdness.

Cool idea, but how would you conventionally use it? :p

3. i've played one of those before. my cheap trick enthusiast friend has one. it's not as crazy as you would think, but you kinda need to use a pick. it doesn't work so well with fingerstyle. the sound it makes is pretty insane, my friend used it only for certain songs because of how it could easily dominate the mix.

4. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Just keep playing the intro from "Jeremy" over and over until the $550 has been amortized and then sell it before you break a string.

5. ledyard

ledyard

Jan 31, 2010
    Upstate NY
    that pic of the 18 was taken of Allen during a Allman Bros. show. A buddy of mine saw one of those shows. Allen walked out with that bass and started Whipping Post.
    Allen is a phenominal player and one of my major influences any time i have a pick in hand. I cant imagine the sound of the Whipping Post intro being played by him on that beast. :bassist:

6. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
  7. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
    I knew I had seen one of those somewhere. Doug Pinnick of King's X uses/used one

8. This thread has suddenly got me wondering how many strings I can actually fret at once.. Plus I've suddenly got a serious thing going for King X. Thank you for the link!

9. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    .....pulls guts out of old piano and puts on ebay as 88 string extended range bass.

10. duderasta

duderasta

Feb 25, 2010
    Lake Placid, FL
    lol more like 200+ strings if you use a piano.....

11. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I get Tom's 12 string and why he invented it. He wanted his bass to sound more like a rhythm guitar to fill in the bands sound. He plays thru guitar amps to reduce to much lo end and strums allot with a pick. I always loved the band and his playing which wasnt the norm for most bassists.

Those other crazy multi string basses with footwide fretboards :spit:

12. Rockman

Rockman

Mar 2, 2006
    No such thing as a minor 5th. I assume you mean diminished? Having strings tunes in a diminished triad would be kind weird.

13. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Doug gets an unbelievable tone with his 12 string, really ground-shaking, window-breaking kind of growl with it.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021