Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

(Executive) Producer

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Oysterman, Oct 20, 2002.

1. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Almost every TV series has in the list of credits one or more "producers" and one or more "executive producers". I thought I had a pretty good grip on what a producer does, at least until I read an interview with an *executive* producer. Judging by that, it seems to me they do the same things?? :confused:

Anyone with insight in this business who could tell me what the differences between their jobs are? Thanks.

2. i dont know about on television, but in theater, someone who is an exectutive producer's job would be:to organize crew and act a liason between crew and the producer and director. To also be calling the show from the booth and assisting the crew with their various roles.
    i hope this sort-of helps.
    from a drama freak
    -Shoonk

3. isn't it like this ?

the " producer " tells the camera guys where to move and what to film

the " executive producer " handles the buttons / sliders / faders that controll the camera-feeds and does the editing 'n stuff

4. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i don't think it is like that at all.

the former: director?

the latter: editor?

producing has to do with fronting the money, getting a director, hiring people who hire all the other people, having sex with actresses looking for a break in the biz, etc.

afaik.

5. TBONE64

TBONE64 Guest

Feb 22, 2002
    Chesterfield, VA
    In TV news the executive producer is the one who oversees the rest of the producers. They also coordinates the news desk to determinee validity of a story.

A regular producer is the one who writes said stories for the talent to read.

Usually an E.P. for a TV show is the one who comes up with the concept. That person can also be the fiancial backer. Again the producers are writing assistants.

There are also other sorts of producers such as Line Producer, they focus on the timing of the show. Segment Producers, the list keeps going.

Hope this helps.

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Oh, we've haid our fair share of Spelling's productions too. Two is one more than one too many...

Thanks guys, I think I understand the differences (& similarities) now. :)