Exercise and Law Enforcment Question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mr.QuakQuak, Jul 20, 2005.

1. I have a question and hope one of you may be able to inlight me.

After college (few years still) I'll be joining the police academy. I'm wondering whats the average weight of a full coverage bullet proof vest. Google and sites that sell don't give even a decent esimate of weight. I found 4-5 pounds but that seems a bit too light.

Second, I am going to make my workouts more intense (added ankle weights) but also want to add a weighted vest probably around 12-20 pounds. I'm just looking for good brands since I'll be investing 100-200 in a weightes vest for running and walking.

All help appreciated.

(And yes I realize it's more stress on my joints.)
  2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i think that would depend on what level of vest you are looking at...

3. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Newer generation vests are VERY light. 3-4 lbs is heavier than most now made.

In full uniform, I weight about 16 lbs more than I do nekkid.
    Most of that is gunbelt and equipment.
  4. Thanks, I appreciate it. A few years ago I remember a officer telling me his vest was like 18 pounds.
  5. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I don't understand the point. Just be in good shape and you shouldn't have any problems.

My shape in the army was average or less than in my age group, and couple of months into the training I could pull off a 24-hour field orienteering competition (demand for passing the medic course) with full equipment which is around 50 lbs of weight, and my team finished 3rd of twelve. You'll get used to the weight, if that's what you're afraid of.
  6. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    What a image...

HOT I tell you!!!

On other note... If you think about it... What you wear on the street is kind of close to what you will have to wear... I don’t think it would be a big deal... I'd say on top of your regular cloths it will be maybe 6 pounds... 3 for the west 3 for the belt...
  7. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002

Maybe if it was a tactical vest with hard armor, but regular patrol vests have NEVER weighed close to that much.
  8. I'd put my dad's vest on when I was a kid and I don't remember it being more than maybe 5 pounds. I loved the feeling of being bulletproof... well to certain rounds fired at my torso...
  9. Hardcore cops don't settle for less than a type IV vest. :p
  10. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I was in Police supply until about a year ago. Vest weights are getting lighter and lighter although with Second chance now becoming "no chance" they may creep back up. We had some that were in the 3 1/2 lb. class. Entry vest are for tactical (door entry situations) they get quite heavy, with plates some can got to almost 20 lbs. Cheeze is right as usual, the weight is in the belt, with leather being heavier, but probably more durable then nylon. You've got Holster, Sidearm, under-belt, Handcuffs, cuff case, flashlight, flashlight case, chemical (mace-PS) mace case, 2 mags, double mag holder, Ammo, baton, baton holster, Radio, radio case, Glove case, gloves (surgical), (sometimes cell phone too). That can get heavy and expensive, a belt rig will go from 150-350$ depending on quality and materials, and you usually are required to use certain brands, styles etc. Weight AT LEAST 15 lbs. my guess.
  11. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

Dont forget the coffee mug holder as well... those things come in Handy
  12. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Ad the donut pouch! :D
  13. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Just a quick thing about running with ankle weights...

I had a friend who did that... and after about 3 months of doing it, his ankles were pratically destroyed... when he went in for surgery on it, the doctors told him that the weights were what caused it, and that they see many cases every year due to them. If you need to build leg muscle, do a normal, weight bearing routine.

14. Thanks for the tips, I mainly wanted the vest for exercsie though because each day I do an hour of pilates (main reason I got ankle weights, it wasn't intense enough anymore) then my own pushups and chest/arm exercises, and last a 45-50 minute treadmill workout with 30 minutes of walking and the rest running.
  15. Mmmzactly. Ankle weights are mainly good for when your doing chinups, or leg raises etc.

THEY ARE NOT MADE FOR RUNNING. They can be extremely dangerous for your ankles.
  16. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The Mall Ninja is the ultimate body armor expert!

Google him!
  17. Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York

when I played airsoft, I had a vest from them, and there's pockets on the inside meant for maps or documents I guess? That you can fit weights that would fit onto a bar bell into. I fit up to 40 pounds inside there, and I guess you could buy smaller 5 pound weights and put them into the magazine pockets and what not.

I went swimming with 40 pounds more of weight, it is fun. Good exercise too.
  18. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    That's very close to my understanding too, out here in Burbank. There's some new supposedly "high-tech" stuff, that doesn't really seem to cut it in the field, we've had several bad incidents out here with the "new" gear, and the mil has reported some bad experiences as well. Personally I'd prefer the "older-style" and slightly heavier gear, 'cause I don't want to be an alpha-tester for someone's "new ideas". :eyebrow: