Exercise and warmups??

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by TheButchersBack, Nov 7, 2002.

1. TheButchersBack

Nov 7, 2002
    Nor Cal
    I need a little help warming up, What do you do to exercise, and what do you do to warm up to play a set? any advice?
  2. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
  3. TheButchersBack

Nov 7, 2002
    Nor Cal
    Thanks thats exactly what i was looking for and needed, tried i already and does help..thanks again.
  4. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    That gonzo bass guy is everywhere. every bass site, hes there! hes got a cool bass
  5. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    my pleasure ;)

(im getting addicted to the talkbass forums now...)
  6. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    in the words of all the talkbass emails i get

''Maybe you should consider a supporting membership''
  7. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Well, I've never played any gigs unfortunately, but I had posted a good exercise I found in Bass Player that is good for warming up before a gig or practice. You can find my post in this thread:

To warm up sometimes I also practice scales (in 2 octaves up and down the fretboard) and chords and etudes I get at my lesson or find in books.

Hope this helps :)
  8. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Starting at the 7th fret, play the root, third, fifth and octave, move down a half a step (without looking!) and repeat until you are at the end of the fingerboard. Then, start at the seventh fret and work your way up. (Again, no looking.) Do this with your root on the A string, then move down to the E, and B if you have one. Then do root, fifth, octave, and then root, fifth, tenth. (You can only do that with the root on the E string if you have a four string bass.) Play with a metronome, too, it helps!
  9. start on the first fret of the G string and play (1 2 3 4 3 2 1) Ab for 4 beat, A for 4 beat, Bb for 4 beat, and then B for 4 beat, then go back down. Then move up to the second fret and repeat this patteren. Do this for the entire string then move to the D string and then the A and then the E. After you finish this you should feel warmed up and also very well stretched. If not then go back and use varyations of this tecneques such as (1 4 3 4 2 4 1 4 2 1 2 5 4 5 3 5 2 5 3 2 etc.) Things like this will really help your reach and speed. remember that when you are first starting to warm up go slowly so as not to pull anything.
  10. TheButchersBack

Nov 7, 2002
    Nor Cal
    how about warming up the right hand? in this cold weather it takes a little while to get my fingers to move as fast as the usually do. any more suggestions.
  11. start out by playing an exercise of quarter notes, and then in your next exercise use 8th notes, and then last use 16th notes. For exercise sugestions refer to the prevoius post that I made.

(Example: where you hold each note in the first exercise for one measure. Hold it for that measure so you work your left hand but play (quarter or 8th notes with your right hand and then move to the next note and do the same thing. Another idea would be to alternate between 8th notes and quarter notes.) I hope that this makes sense.
  12. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    i usually do this one to get my left hand working

it gives the fingers a nice stretch and its a great warm up! You can always start from the 2nd,3rd fret if the first fret's spacing is too wide for you

13. bassworks

Apr 18, 2002
    I have done warm-ups like the ones mentioned but I have found that you get warmed up by simply practicing. Time spent doing other exercises is time you could be practicing music.
  14. Tiwaz

Sep 22, 2002
    The muscles which you use to play bass with are located on the front and back of your lower arm , around the elbow area. These muscles pull on the tendons to make the hand and fingers do what you want them to do. There are muscles in your hand , but their only function is to give support to the tendons.
    For your muscles to work properly , they will need a steady supply of oxygen from the blood , so warming up will increase the blood circulation , which will increase the amount of oxygen to the muscles.
    So basically the warming up part should start before you even touch the bass , or else you will only hurt your tendons in the long run.
    Do basic morning gymnastics like push-ups , sit-ups etc , you don't have to do it extensively , you will notice the blood circulation picking up quite quickly.
    And then you can pick up the bass :)