1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Exercise bikes

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Chunk-O-Funk, May 10, 2006.

1. I'm thinking of dumping my treadmill for an exercise bike. I'm on my feet all day with my job and I'm starting to feel some discomfort in my knees and feet so getting up on the old treadmill just ain't happening anymore.

Any recommendations. I have only started to do a little research and haven't decided on a recumbent style or an upright. The only issue I have with recumbent is space, which is also a problem with the treadmill. I would like to be able to fit it into a closet when I'm done. Fitting it into a closet would be nice and a major plus, but not priority. Price wise I would like to keep it under $400.00

Any info would be great.

Thanks!

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I personally prefer an upright, nice one with a heartrate calculator, will tell you whether or not you're aerobic or not, and I prefer anything without a strap, they're simply noisy.

As to switching from a treadmill to a bike, I'm with you. I carry stuff all day, and at the end of the day my knees are killing me. Unfortunately, my parents went the opposite way and threw out our excercise bike to make room for a treadmill.

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Hey Chunk - I really find that when I visit the gym I get alot more work done on the treadmill than the bike.

I've chosen to write that sentence in that complicated way because whilst the meter might tell me that I've burned equal calories on both, I feel that I'm doing more work on the mill.

4. As with normal road/track jogging, treadmills can have a detrimental impact on your knees and ankles. If you are experiencing pain or strains in these joints, you would be better off to change your routine.

Upright bikes are far more effective because the extra balance that is required to keep you upright assists in the overall effort of the exercise. I find that recumbant bikes don't encourage you to raise the heart-rate as much as an upright bike. You also can't do the standing sprint on a recumbant.

PM me if you need more information.
    :)

5. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    What's an upright bike? Is it like an elliptical?

6. i believe some bikes are like chairs... and you pedal horizontally... and upright will be like a real bike...

thats my assumption.

7. Upright is the traditional exercise bike, where a recumbent you are situated in a seat with a back rest and the pedals are out in front of you.

Thanks for the tips so far.

A heart rate calculator would be good. The one on my treadmill was not very accurate so I never used it. I just did it the old fashion way with the second hand on the clock.

Hey Peter, Thanks! Excellent points, it's sound like the upright would be much better.

Whats your thoughts on some of the bells and whistles that are found on a lot of this type of equipment. One being programmable work outs. My treadmill did not have this feature, so I would simply start off slow and work my way up and then have a cool down period.

Thanks again.

8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Chunky

Do you have a regular bike? If you do, just buy a trainer - it will give you a better workout than an excercise bike, and it'll be cheaper, too!

9. +1 - good advice.

Chunk, I never really put those gadget features to much use. Certainly the calorie burn-o-meter is rarely accurate, and the programmable workouts might be good for beginners or the lazy, but you are better off working it out yourself IMHO.

The only real feature I recommend for training is the resistance one.

10. A bike trainer! That's an awesome idea! I have a mountain bike that really doesn't get enough action.

Thanks.

For my limited space it seems to be the best way to go as well. I can put it away when it's not in use.

For the money I want to spend it seems I can get a fairly decent one with the fluid type resistance. It's supposed to be the most realistic and quite.

Something like this one:
    [​IMG]

Thanks again!

11. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Excellent unit. Or as I like to refer to it, torture device!

12. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    I would suggest you check out Consumer Reports magazine. All my past buying a new car decisions and a recent printer purchase were largely influenced by their ratings and I have been happy with my choices, and I know they recently reviewed stationary bikes. Sorry, I don't know the exact issue, and it might be in their 2006 buyers guide easily available, but I think a Schwinn model won heads up and was most reasonably priced. I think this organization is very fair and claims they are not influenced by advertisers and I tend to believe this. If I find the article I will get back here and post the info.