1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Exercise/example piece for measuring progress

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by PlatoFunFactory, Sep 28, 2018.

1. I'm trying to get serious about my practice this year and I'd like some sort of reference point against which I can measure my progress. I was thinking of a particular song or exercise/set of exercises that I could record every two or three months that would act as a general indicator of my skill level. (Hopefully showing progress!)

What would you suggest for something like this?

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Since we don't know what you can and can't play, nobody's going to be able to give you good advice.

3. Fair enough. I'm really just working on fundamentals: consistent, clear tone in my fingers, rhythm, dynamics, etc.. Right now I can play most any rock tune I've set my mind to, though I don't do any slapping or very fast metal. It's not so much that I want to be able to do more, it's that I want to do what I do better.

4. saabfender

saabfender

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    So ready to give some marginal advice.

You're going to write something. This is easier if you read music, but if you don't you can still do it. Something about 1:30 - 2:00 long.

5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I would say pick one song for each of those fundamentals. One you can just barely play, or makes it obvious what you're wanting to improve upon. Set that as your benchmark.