Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Exercise/Nutrition/Toning Questions

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BassGod, Jul 18, 2005.

1. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Hi. Recently, I've been wanting to start doing some more exercising, maybe tone my body a little bit more. But I honestly don't know where to start...

I'm not fat or at all overweight, but I would like my muscles to look a little more defined in the chest/abdominal area. I used to do tonnes of crunches and situps, but they just got boring. I used to do sixty at night, and thirty in the morning. Maybe that wasn't enough?

Anyway, I'm just looking for a more fun way to get the results I want. I mean, I'm not looking for a magical pill, and am willing to do the work for the results, I just need something that I don't find boring. For example, I love bike riding. Does that help your upper body at all? Also, any non-drastic changes that I could make to my diet? (by non-drastic I mean I don't want to become a vegan or anything)

Sorry for the rambling post, I'm sure I could explain this all more clearly if needs be. Thanks for any tips/advice. :)

Graeme :bassist:

P.S. Keep in mind that I don't have access to a gym.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Buy yourself one of the big blue exercise balls and do your exercises on that. You'll need to do more than 60 crunches/situps at a time if you want to tone your abs. Try some pullups for your upper body. Bike riding won't do much of anything for your upper body.

-Mike

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    You can get lots of your upper body muscles in shape with pushups. Shoulders, triceps, chest, back... You can do them with your hands close together, at shoulder with, or with your hands further out and you'll hit all different muscles. YOu can also do them at an angle with your feet on a bed or chair and hit your upper chest and different parts of your shoulders.

For your stomach you would have to do more than 60 crunches to see any results. 3 sets of 60 might be a good place to start, and then I'd start upping the reps to 75, 80, 100. Leg raises are a lot more effective IME. You can lay on the floor, grab onto the edge of a couch or something, keep you legs straigh, raise them slowly, feel the burn in you stomach (flex your stomach muscles if you can) and then let them back down slowly. If you're stomachs out of shape a set of 10 of those is gonna burn lots. If you can do three sets thats great. You can also lay the same way and slowly raise your knees to your chest.

There are thousands of things you can do for your stomach and chest. Pick up a men's health, exercise or fitness magazine. Every month they have the "newest" tricks to rip up your midsection - the same newest ones they've been printing every single month for the past 20 years. :)