Exercise sticky

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Pacman, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Another option for the above exercise is to play the two notes on the D string (or the second to highest string for any extended range players). While you play the notes, make sure the two fingers that are not active are anchored to the G string. You'll want to actually pluck each note, rather than doing an official "trill", and you also want to make sure to lift each finger that's active, even the one playing the lowest note, when that finger isn't holding down the note.

So as an example using combination #1 from above:

The index and middle finger are involved in playing the notes on the D string, frets 7 and 8, while the ring and pinkie fingers are anchored to the G string, frets 9 and 10. You pluck the first note while your index finger is on fret 7 of the D string; you then bring your middle finger down and pluck the note on the 8th fret while simultaneously you lift your index finger as your middle finger comes down. You then bring your index finger back down while simultaneously bringing the middle finger back up and pluck the note again fretted with the index finger on the seventh fret. Remember that while your doing all this, your ring and pinkie finger are still anchored to the 9th and 10th frets of the G string... and they don't come up until the exercise is done.

Use the same examples as above but make sure to lift whatever finger isn't fretting on the D string and anchor whatever fingers aren't involve to the corresponding frets on the G string.

One note of caution: This exercise really isolates the muscle groups in your hand so you don't need to do each combination for very long. I use it as a quick way to warm up my left hand; maybe 2-3 minutes total for all combinations. You could go a bit longer if you're trying to build up stamina but be careful not to over do it.

2. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Cypress, TX
    I play around with scales like I use to do when I was playing sax.

Play the scale in quater notes, then eigth, tripplets, 1/16th etc up and down.

I also play patterns on the scale things like 3 notes down, 2 up, 3 down, 2 up etc.

1-2-3-2-1-2-3-4-3-2-......

The other way

8-7-6-7-8-7-6-5-6-7-...

Also play the scale returning to the root every other note

1-2-1-3-1-4-1-5-.....

And in reverse

8-7-8-6-8-5-8-4-...

eJake likes this.
  3. CiRRuS~BaSS

CiRRuS~BaSS

Jan 20, 2008
    my dad showed me this one from his guitar days. he said he once saw Al DiMeola do it insanely fast and when you learn the exercise youll appreciate it.

G:-1--2--3---4-----4---4--4---
    D:------1--2---3-----3---3-----
    A:-----------1---2-----2--------
    E:-----------------1-------------

then back down....

the way i think of it and easiest to view it is as a box. the perimeter of the box is from the 1st fret to the 4th fret, covering all four strings. your basically hitting each fret inside this box in a diagonal pattern from (if your right handed) left to right. going back down is just backwards (right to left diagonally).

if anyone has any questions please let me know, i hope i explained this well enough and its a nice warm-up/ warm-down/ technique exercise.

4. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    My favorite is Michael Manring's old "mathematic permutations exercise". Some one started to talk about earlier, but stopped 1/4 through. Basically, find a spot on the neck where you're very comfortable with all 4 fingers on the board, I usually do 7-10 on the D. Then, just play through in even beats the following sequence, always alternating your plucking hand and keeping the tempo steady:

1234, 1243, 1324, 1342, 1423, 1432
    2134, 2143, 2314, 2341, 2413, 2341
    3124, 3142, 3214, 3241, 3412, 3421
    4123, 4132, 4213, 4231, 4312, 4321

Start slow and build up speed. Once this gets easy to play fast with no fumbles, throw in some string skipping by running the same patterns but with each finger on a different string.

5. I'll try that one today, thanks man.

6. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    This one is my favorite for developing independence between right and left hands:
    t's very simple and deucedly effective...

Find a place where your left hand is comfortable. For me, 5th fret is good.
    Left hand is very simple, taking 2 fingers and going accross all 4 strings (I've never found a good modification for 5 string, the 2nd half of the exercise being why)

so left hand will go

G:----------------1--2-
    D:-----------1--2-
    A:------1--2-
    E:-1--2-

(hope that's the right way to notate it - all fingers staying on the same 2 frets, starting on the E string and continuing across to the G string).

RH:
    Right hand, alternate fingers. 1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2
    So far so good - your left and right hands are in synch.

Coming back, your right hand takes advantage of the "rake" between each pair of strings descending.
    So while on the return, your left hand still plays

G:-1--2-
    D:------1--2-
    A:-----------1--2-
    E:----------------1--2-

RH: 1-2-2-1-1-2-2-1

That gets you playing 1-2 with your left hand, 2-1 with your right on the D and E strings. Going back up, you keep that 2-1 with your right, so:

LH:
    G:----------------1--2-
    D:-----------1--2-
    A:------1--2-
    E:-1--2-

RH: 2-1-2-1-2-1-2-1

And since your last pluck on the G string with your RH was with your index finger, coming down you play
    LH:
    G:-1--2-
    D:------1--2-
    A:-----------1--2-
    E:----------------1--2-

RH: 2-1-1-2-2-1-1-2

Now you're back on a "1-2-1-2" RH fingering, and you can proceed to the next pair of fingers (1-3, etc)
    It gets particularly challenging as you move to left hand fingers working in pairs descending (like 3-1), etc.

As I play it, I don't double up the end strings (E and G), though it may seem like it from the way I tabbed it. I'm not much of a tab wiz and I wanted the symmetry of the exercise to come through.

And as always, the metronome is your friend...

eJake likes this.
  7. One that I find is good for the plucking fingers is this:
    1-2-3-4 on E
    4-3-2-1 on A
    1-2-3-4 on D
    4-3-2-1 on G

The trick is to start off on E-1 and play 1 measure of quarter notes. go to E-2 and do eighth notes. E-3 for 16th then E-4 for 32nd. Move up to A-4 and start doing quarter again. Keep doing this till G-1 then start G-1 again with quarter and then go back down.

8. tyggis

tyggis

Mar 11, 2008
    A nice way to practice the right hand technique is to play just dead notes. Then you can really hear when you are not tight.

9. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Found this in one of my dads guitar playing books. I photocopied the 2 pages pretty badly, so i forget which book its from :oops:

Originally posted in a separate thread, but I figure i might as well put it here.

To me it sounds good in theory, and would be great to do with a metronome. The 2 times Ive done the whole thing ive noticed that my fretting hand is a lot more responsive and loose. Recently did with a metronome (160 bpm) playing on each beat. Was harder than i thought it would be. Felt damn good tho :D

I was thinking, however, that instead of the "imim" or "mimi" finger plucking, one could get used to an "amim" or "imam" pattern that seems more useful if going for a speedy technique. I'm going to use the "amim" to practice this right now. Ill let you guys know how it goes ;) (EDIT: it works out quite interesting useing "ami", tho my "a" is plauged by screwing around on me. Right now im getting some awesome speed from just the "m" and "i", so im gonna let that take me where it will.)

[​IMG]

10. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Inactive

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Skipping 1 string at a time:
    Code:
    1||----------------------------3---4-|-1---2---------------------------||
    2||-------------------3---4-1---2----|---3---4-1---2-------------------||
    3||-----------3---4-1---2------------|-----------3---4-1---2-----------||
    4||---3---4-1---2--------------------|-------------------3---4-1---2---||
    5||-1---2----------------------------|---------------------------3---4-||

Skipping 2 strings at a time:
    Code:
    1||-------------------3---4-|-1---2-------------------||
    2||-----------3---4---------|---------1---2-----------||
    3||---3---4---------1---2---|---3---4---------1---2---||
    4||---------1---2-----------|-----------3---4---------||
    5||-1---2-------------------|-------------------3---4-||
    Skipping 3 strings at a time:
    Code:
    1||------------3---4-|-1---2-----------||
    2||----3---4---------|---------1---2---||
    3||------------------|-----------------||
    4||----------1---2---|---3---4---------||
    5||--1---2-----------|-----------3---4-||
    Skipping 4 strings at a time (5 string only :p ;) :D):
    Code:
    1||----3---4-|-1---2---||
    2||----------|---------||
    3||----------|---------||
    4||----------|---------||
    5||--1---2---|---3---4-||
    Tabbed it on frets 1 to 4, but it could be done anywhere really... On a 4 string, just ignore the 1st or last 4 notes going up, and vice-versa going down. Im pretty sure this covers all the string skips you'll ever do, pickhand-wise anyway.

I couldn't find the string skipping lesson that's in one of the many bass books I have, so I just sorta came up with this after looking at the spider example on page 1 of this thread.

11. BassplayerBrian

BassplayerBrian

Apr 23, 2008
    a couple of the ones i use a lot come from upright players,
    the first one is called: Rings Thing and it goes like this:

Fingers:12321323 12321323 12321323 on the E string and go up a half step until you cant climb the neck any more, then go on to this pattern
    23432434 23432434 23432434 and climb the neck in half steps again, then this pattern
    12421424 12421424 12421424 again, all the way up the neck.

The next one is Max's Magic which is essentially the same but with string crossings so itd be like this:

A: 232 323 232 323
    E:1 1 1 1
    again, all the way up the neck using all the patterns in rings thing as well

Start slow with a met, and work your way up making sure you can do it cleanly without stopping(frets: 12321323,12321323,23432434,23432434 etc.) all the way up the neck of the bass

It builds lots of speed and endurance!

12. jbo

jbo

May 2, 2007
    Wichita, KS
  13. The best warm-up IMHO:

E ---------------4(r)-5(p)-----------2(i)-3(m)----
    A ----------5(p)----------4(r)-3(m)-----------2(i)
    D -----------------------------------------------
    G -----------------------------------------------

(i) - index
    (m) - middle
    (r) - ring
    (p) - pinky

Of course, this can be played anywhere on the fretboard, hope it helps.

14. Thingus995

Thingus995

May 30, 2008
    hahaha you forgot The Burning Pits of the Duat by Nile... Great practice songs hahaha

15. robmill3r

robmill3r

May 28, 2008
    Instead of (in addition to) just playing scales, I play around with a piano agility exercise I learned as a child.
    root-5-6-8-10-8-6-5-3-6-8-10-12-10-8-6-5...
    and another
    root-5-10-8-6-8-6-5-3-8-12-10-8-10-8-6-5...
    turn around and take it back down after you resolve at the 2nd octave.
    I play around with plucking on the right hand while I do these.
    T,I one time T,M next time all five fingers another...
    I think there were 30 or so of these type exercises, and I know they had a name. Just cant remember what they were called...

16. jgoldbe

jgoldbe

Jul 9, 2008
    New York City
    These are two warm-ups I like to do. start out slowly, and as you begin to memorize the fingering speed up.

G|--------------------------------------------------7-----------------------------------------------------------------|
    D|----------------------------7------9--7--10--9-----10-----10--7--9-------7--------------------------------------|
    A|-----7-------8--7--10--8-----10---------------------------------------10-----8--10--7--8------7----------------|
    E|--8-----10------------------------------------------------------------------------------------10-----8--10--7--8-|

This one is a little tricky at first. Think of it as your doing a C Major scale, and you play the first 3 notes, then go back to the first. then you play the 2nd, 3rd and 4th, then go back to the 2nd. and so on.

G|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------7-----------7--9-----
    D|--------------------------------------------------------7-----------7--9-------7--9--10--7---9--10-----9---10-------10--
    A|----------7----------7--8-------7--8--10--7---8--10-----8---10--------10------------------------------------------------
    E|--8--10-----8---10--------10-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

G|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    D|--10--9--7--10---9--7------9---7---------7--------------------------------------------------------------------
    A|-------------------------10---------10--8------10--8--7--10---8--7-------8---7----------7--------------------
    E|-------------------------------------------------------------------------10---------10--8------10--8--7--10--8-

Once your comfortable with them, move your hand down the neck to get a bigger stretch.

17. Rudreax

Rudreax

Jun 14, 2008
    New York, NY
    I don't really have much to add to this, but I guess this would help.

When doing any of your own exercises, or when doing any of the ones in this topic, try to use a metronome whenever possible. This way, not only will you improve your dexterity, you'll practice your timing, which is just as important.

18. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    For the record, this one thread is worth the price of admission. Good stuff.

19. OldBluesGuy

OldBluesGuy

Aug 14, 2008
    Enfield, CT
    Subscribed.

This is great stuff! Thanks to all of the contributors. I am in your debt.

:)

obg

20. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Glad to hear you appreciate the thread. :)

+1 to Rudreax's post above about using a metronome. To practice a lick slowly and in time is the only way to really get control over what more difficult stuff.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021