Exercise sticky

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Pacman, Aug 12, 2007.

1. br00m35

br00m35

Aug 27, 2008
    Nice little Major triad/ Scale run riff i came up with

E------------------------------------------------------
    A------------5---3---------3---------3-----------3--3-
    D--5--3--2----------------------5-----------2---------
    G---------------------5--------------------------------

E------------------------------------------------------
    A----------------3---------3---------3-----------3--3-
    D--------------------------------5-----------2---------
    G---------------------5--------------------------------

You do a Scale run at the beggining:

E--------------------------------------------------------
    A------------------5-------------------------------------
    D-----5---3---2------------------------------------------
    G--------------------------------------------------------

and then you play Root/Root/Root/Fifth/Third/Root/Root

Its one of the exercises i use to warm up before i play. Its also good for getting used to chord positions

I hope it helps :)

2. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    This has been helpful for me in adapting the scale form runs to incorporate some string-skipping. A'like a'so:

From C major

G---------------------------7-9---------------10-12-------------------14-16----------
    D--------9-10-7-----------9----10-7------9-12-------14-------------15-------17-14----
    A---7-10--------8----7-10-----------8-10---------------15-12-14-17----------------15-
    E-8---------------10-----------------------------------------------------------------

You're playing the 1, 3, 5, and 7 of each note, alternating how you're progressing through it all. Make sense? Now go back down. Practice for different notes. Building up speed is fun, too.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    I have read a couple of posts on the benefit of exercise devices that strengthen the hand for bass playing. I also read an article by a physical therapist who commented on the pros/cons of such devices. I emailed her to find out more about the topic and received the following reply that may be helpful to TB members:

"I was talking about people with arthritis and that they should not use repetitive grip strengtheners due to the strain on their joints. This was more of my opinion based on the pathophysiology of arthritis.

In my opinion, it is safe for an individual who is free from arthritis or other pathology to use grip devices to increase their strength, as long as, they keep the repetitions low. Most studies of strength have found that 2 to 3 sets of up to 8 repetitions are adequate to improve strength. The intensity should be about 70% of what they could grip one time maximally. Repetitive gripping has been linked to conditions such as carpal tunnel syndrome and tendinitis. Therefore, the commonly performed repetitions of 50-100 could be detrimental. Perhaps this information would be helpful to your musicians."

ScottMatt likes this.
  4. Wicked_Bassist7

Wicked_Bassist7

Oct 31, 2008
    try this. major scale ascending, slide up one step (2 frets), then a major scale descending, slide up a step, continue

5. Badbear79

Badbear79

Nov 25, 2008
    Santa Rosa
    this a simple fifths and octaves drill i came up with thats really easy

-----7---------------------
    --------7-----7--------7---
    --5--------5--------7------
    -----------------5---------
    i m i m i m i m

I usually just start at the 5th fret and after each run start it again on next fret up, im gonna start practicing it in reverse now that im pretty comfortable with this one.

6. Exercises... I play a simplish song to warm-up before I play a gig with bass or guitar- does that count?

7. I learnt this finger stretching exercise about 10 years ago from a great bassist.

It's pretty simple but it's quite hard to do quickly, which is the idea to build up to.

i = index finger
    m = middle finger
    r = ring finger
    p = pinky

Code:
    G|--------9-(p)-------------------------------||
    D|--7-(i)-------7-(i)-------7-(r)-------------||
    A|--------------------7-(m)-------7-(m)-------||
    E|--------------------------------------5-(i)-||

Start slowly and focus on accuracy and correct finger placement. You shouldn't remove a finger from the string until the next note is played. Start around 60-80 bpm and play quavers (8th notes, each one half a beat) in 4/4 so your last note (the 5th fret, or A) is a crotchet (1/4 note, equal to one beat).

Once you can do this and have built up some speed, you can try it two frets lower with the same pattern, like this:

Code:
    G|--------7-(p)-------------------------------||
    D|--5-(i)-------5-(i)-------5-(r)-------------||
    A|--------------------5-(m)-------5-(m)-------||
    E|--------------------------------------3-(i)-||

Then another two frets lower:

Code:
    G|--------5-(p)-------------------------------||
    D|--3-(i)-------3-(i)-------3-(r)-------------||
    A|--------------------3-(m)-------3-(m)-------||
    E|--------------------------------------1-(i)-||

Then you can link them up, so you do the first one in A, second in G, third in F, back up to A. Then try your own combinations.

He played it in 16s at around 120 bpm (or 8th notes at 240 bpm), just to give you some idea of how fast to build up to. I used to play it almost that fast but I'm a bit out of practice with this one.

8. This exercise pulls from a basic minor scale and can be done anywhere. It's good for waking up your fingers and brain.

G|-------------------------------------------7------9---|
    D|---------------------7------9---7-11----9---7-11---9-|
    A|------9---7-10----9---7-10---9------10---------------|
    E|-7-10---9------10-------------------------------------|

Make note when you're playing of where you are in relation to the minor scale. The minor scale here is shown in BOLD. Sometimes I play the underlined 7 on the D string (12th fret). This is always the first thing I do to warm up, usually once looking, then without looking, then faster, faster, faster...

9. My fretting hand(left)isn't too bad. My problem is with my right hand and alternating fingers when I pluck.
    I started playing when I was 14 and played for a couple of years, with no lessons. I used my index finger only most of the time and used my thumb on some licks.
    I haven't played in years, now at 50 I'm trying to get used to using my index and middle fingers, sometimes utilizing my ring finger. I have a hard time alternating fingers. I try to keep in mind when I'm playing to alternate index-middle finger but I have a heck of a time. That's not good for a bass player. If I ever get the 2 fingers in sync I could add some speed.

10. davecanady

davecanady Guest

Aug 24, 2008
    Can I get an exercise or idea from someone here.... I just switched from flatwounds to roundwounds. I had only played flatwounds becasue they came on the bass. Now, my fingering is really noisy. I've been playing bass for about 6 months.

11. Ossaris

Ossaris

Mar 2, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    Forget all that! I do finger-tendon stretches and I squeeze tennis balls! That's all strength baby!

12. IAmMattay

IAmMattay

May 24, 2009
  13. xXxXBassistXxXx

xXxXBassistXxXx

May 28, 2009
    I have a great warmup, it would take forever to tab it out though :/

14. Here's one you might want to try. It's mainly for your fretting hand and is written for a 4 string fretted instrument:-

G|------------15--14--13--12--11----------------------------------------13--

D|--------14-----------------------12-------------------------------12-------

A|----13-------------------------------13-----------------------11-----------

E|-12--------------------------------------14--13--12--11--10-----------etc-

Continue down the fretboard as far as you can go without losing fluency or accuracy. Use the obvious fingers moving across the strings, individual fingers moving down the E or G with a slide in there somewhere (usually either pinky or index finger). Aim for a smooth flow of notes rather than speed as such - once you can play it, then you can build up the speed.

This exercise works well with a range of picking techniques. The basic method is to walk across E->G, walk down the string, then either walk or controlled sweep G->E. Good for building your plectrum technique as well. Harder to slap, but don't let that stop you trying!

Enjoy.

15. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Here's something I came up with while trying to devise an alternative to a line that can't be heard very well on the original recording. After practicing it, I found it to be a great exercise in coordination:

Slapexercise.jpg

You can see/hear it from 1:22 to 1:33 in this video, although within that context it should be written like this:

Slapexerciseallabreve.jpg

Anyway, the "motor" result in both versions when playing them is exactly the same. The only difference is the underlying pulse. It's pretty easy after you get the pattern, but getting the pattern will keep you busy for a while (follow the articulations strictly). Hope you'll have lots of fun with this.

16. this is a run in one of my bands songs that I use to warm up

g-----------------3-5-6-3----------------
    d------------2-5-----------5-3-----------
    a-------3-5---------------------5-2------
    E--2-5-------------------------------5-3-

17. Nolifer

Nolifer

Apr 14, 2009
    Estonia
    My main exercise:

But first http://www.metronomeonline.com/

Code:
    G:-----------------
    D:-----------------
    A:-----------------
    E:-1-4-3-4-2-4-3-4-
    Then you move up a string:
    Code:
    A:-1-4-3-4-2-4-3-4-
    E:-----------------
    And then do the same thing in D and G

Once you've done that, you move up a fret:
    Code:
    A:-----------------
    E:-2-5-4-5-3-5-4-5-
    And repeat, until you've played through the entire neck.

18. Tanden

Tanden

Nov 4, 2009
    "The spider" is my favorite tecvnique of all time.

19. stranded horse

stranded horse

Dec 8, 2009
    outer space
    [ ] yes [ ] no
    I've got a great excercise for rythm and streching at the same time.
    You set your metronome to about 60 or 70 bpm (you don't need to do this fast) and go up and down frets 1-4 just going plain: E: 1-2-3-4 A: 1-2-3-4 D: 1-2-3-4 G: 1-2-3-4 and just put one note on each beat, but focus on letting out sound all the way until the next beat really nicely.
    When you reached fret 4 on the G String, you go up again, but this time, you place 2 even notes for every beat (so you double the speed): G: 4-4-3-3-2-2-1-1, and so on.
    When you reached the top, again, you will now do triplets all the way down again E: 1-1-1-2-2-2-3-3-3-4-4-4. And after that you will play 16th notes from bottom to top again.

I think this really gets your brain going changing from quarter to 8th to triplets to 16th notes all the time. When you're good at this you won't struggle with any syncopated rythm.
    And it's a lot better for streching than just running down the fretboard because you have to hold down a note for a lot longer with your pinky.

20. Jambi666

Jambi666

Mar 15, 2010
    Can someone put some good site about music theory and funky groove exercises.....Thanks :)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021