Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by punk_as_xxxx, Mar 2, 2002.

1. punk_as_xxxx

punk_as_xxxx Member

Mar 2, 2002
    england manchester
    im kinda new 2 this bass thing and i was wondering if there is an exercise that i can do that helps me move my hands faster and easier.

i wud love 2 hear ur ideas
  2. warwickbass

Dec 8, 2001
    just go threw and find pattrens that are hard for you to play and beat the f*** out of your hand till you can paly them... thats what I did and still do and have become a much better player doing it.
  3. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Practice, practice, practice (or, if you're Bruce, practise:D)

Anyway, I recommend staying FAR AWAY from any gadgets that claim to make your hands faster, more agile, stronger, etc. They've generally proven to be junk by many of the best players out there, as they work the muscles in ways contrary to playing.

Warm up with scales. Practice your right hand separate from your left hand. Try playing each note once with your right hand, then twice, then 3 times, alternate the patterns, etc.
  4. an exercise that i use that i find helps with finger strength and sped alot is this

start with your index finger on the first fret of the E string then play the next 3 frets with your other fingers, the play the same thing on the A string, then on the D, and then on the G, when you get to the last not on the G string (the 4th fret, played with your pinkie)move up to the 5th fret and play the same thing backwards, ening on the 2nd fret of the E string, then move your index finger up 1 fret (to the 3rd fret) and play the same pattern up to the G string. carry on repeating the pattern until you reach the 12th fret op the G string, and then do the whole thing backwards until you reach the 1st fret of the E string

i do the exercise a couple of times every time i pick up the bass and 1ce before i put it down, it has helped with my strenght and speed immensly

hope this helps (and makes sense)

5. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    My teacher showed me a good warm-up exercise the other week:

If you have a metronome, set it at a slow pace of about 55 bpm (you might want to set it slower). Now, playing 16th notes (1-e-and-a...2-e-and-a...etc. or however way you like to count them) play a R23R pattern of a major scale. Here is what I mean:

Key of F Major:

F-G-A-F...G-A-Bb-G...A-Bb-C-A...Bb-C-D-Bb...C-D-E-C...D-E-F-D...E-F-G-E...F-G-A-F...etc.. (I play it 2 octaves)

Wotnwhy's advice is great too. It really gets your fingers going. By the way, as a beginner, just to let you know, you shouldn't have to be concerned about speed. You need to start things slowly.

Hope this helps,

PS: Welcome to Talkbass! :)
  6. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Some helpful things you can do while away from the instrument:

1) This sounds stupid, but tapping out drum beats and/or bass lines with your fingers on a table (or whatever's nearby) will help to increase your dexterity.

2) Place your hand flat on a table and practice raising your fingers one at a time, keeping the rest of them flat. Once you've got the hang of this, practice doing it faster and with different patterns.

3) I'm not sure if anyone else here has found this helpful or not, but I have found that doing push-ups on your fingertips builds up hand strength (be careful, though!)

Like Stephanie said, speed shouldn't be your focus. Speed is a by-product of technique, not an end to be pursued in itself (Let's see who gets that quote!)
  7. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    Bass Fitness - Josquin des Pres

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    That book is good, just remember that it's not finger strength you're after primarily but dexterity.
  9. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i found years ago, that (oddly enough) practicing slowly and as accurately as possible, with concentration on tone and execution leads to some lightening agility!

and i mean as slow as it needs to be to practice PERFECTLY.

can't stress this enough.

why play fast if its sloppy?

oh, and relax....try a light touch...deep breath.