Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Exercise

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Adrenaline, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Adrenaline

Adrenaline

Sep 13, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    As a beginner, are there any exercises I could do away from the guitar that will help with my fretting hand that will do well for speed, stength and flexibility. How about speed with my plucking fingers. Thanks

2. deadweeds

deadweeds

Oct 28, 2002
    Harbor Beach,MI
    Hi and welcome to Talkbass

I highly recommend you do a search.You'll find pretty much everything you want to know.

The only thing I've heard about that could possibly help you while away from playing are chinese balls.So again do a search on those too and you'll find a lot of info:)

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I've found that Twirling a frisbee almost 24/7 has improved the tendon strength in my forearms.

some word of caution, stay away from gimicky practice devices, most of those powergrips and muscle balls and whudinots are bad news and will likely hurt your hands in the long run.

another thing to consider, you don't need STRONG(bulky) hands or fingers, particularly, but dexerity and light touch is important.

Also, if you are going to do stuff like this, I highly recommend you do tendon workouts, so that you can build tendon strength, this will help you immensely, and it will also ward off tendonitis.