Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

exercises

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by kas_su, Dec 14, 2005.

1. kas_su

kas_su

Nov 20, 2005
    Could you give me some good exercises to practice?

2. Hey, I've found that the best way to both help strengthen your L.H (left hand) muscles and sense of time is to just pick a spot on the neck thats comfortable, and assign one finger per fret (ie. index=first fret middle=second fret ring=third fret pinky= fourth fret) then, start with your index, and play the F (assuming you're starting on the first fret) Do a SLOW count to 4, or 10, and continue with the F#, G, G#. Then continue up, on the A string, doing the same thing. This sounds stupid, and it's not the fun, flashy looking workouts that everyone in guitar center just love to do, but it's a very easy workout to do in front of the television, and if you do it for one show (30 min.) every day, you'll be absolutely amazed at how much better you FH stamina is, and it did wonders for my sense of time, because it made me concentrate on counting slow [which I have a hard time doing, I am rather partial to playing fast]) Of course, there's all the "run though scales, and etc" and that'll help of course, but if you're looking for fast, noticeable improvement, I would go with the slow count.

3. kas_su

kas_su

Nov 20, 2005
    thaks, i'll try it

4. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    I use that one aswell. its good. great for stamina, and speed when eventually needed..