Exercising without access to a gym

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Alrighty, well, I've lost about 18 pounds (down from 221 to 203) from finally eating better (not entirely correctly though, I need more fruit and vegetables) and walking around town during my spare periods in school. With the relative lack of effort involved in that, I know I can do better (cut fat and actually gain muscle) if I exercise. Only thing is, I can't get to a gym regularly (if at all.)

Basically, all I can thing of are crunches, push-ups, and running. Fortunately, there IS a treadmill in the house, and there are 2 5lb freeweights my mom bought ages ago, so I can keep doing the walking/jogging/running year round and things like curls and such aren't out of the question since I have the weights (just gotta find 'em.)

What else can I do? I'm not looking to bulk up, but rather to slim/cut down and get more tone (then again, when aren't we all looking for more tone? *drum roll*.)
  2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    You are at school, right?

I'm assuming either a high school or college.

These places tend to have athletic departments. As a student, you should be able to access the weight room or whatever.
  3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Yes...but not during the summer months. Hence, my predicament!
  4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Heh Heh. oh ya.

Ride your bike...

I've lost like 15 pounds working at mcdonalds...

And I'll put on sweats, turn off all my fans, and play drums. i sweat like a mofo... it works.
  5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Pull ups, dips, lunges, jump rope, Tae Bo, to name a few. Grab yourself an exercise ball, the big blue ones you blow up, and do some of your exercises on that. It looks kind of girly, but it will intesify your workout.

Former NFL player Herschel Walker is pure muscle. He has never touched a weight, not even when he was playing. Yet he looks like he pumps iron eight hours a day.

6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    IMO, to tone up without bulking up I go for what I call "endurance and strength" weight training.

For example, I started doing curls with only 20 lbs and did them till my arms got tired. However many reps when I did get tired became my benchmark for next time. I would do the same amount of reps each time until I didn't get tired anymore and then step up to the next step up in weight and do it all over again. I believe reps are more important than the amount of weight. Heck, at one time I could curl 40 lbs 200 times! More reps burn more fat and tone better than lifting twice the weight at half the reps. Plus, going the tradional "as much as you can for 10 reps" B.S. builds bulk and thats not what I have ever wanted.

Also, something I consider very important, weight train for two days then one day to rest. So its two on, one off, two on, one off, etc. You get the idea.

I apply both of the above basic principles to all my weight training.

For equipment, I recommend a cheap weight bench and a 80 to 110 lb weight set. Make sure you get a curl bar. Also get a kidney belt just to be safe. Thats all you should ever need for toning with weights IMO. A good bicycle ride is really good exercise as well. Put that baby in the hardest gear and go! It will tone your legs up and help your entire cardiovascular system. Eating healthy is ofcourse another point but it appears you already have that covered. :)

Now this system works for me. It might not work for you. I'm a little guy at 5'8" and when I was at my peak I weighed in at 158 lbs. I have since gotten lazy and now I'm 145 lbs. :crying: This was not taught to me by any trainer or coach just something I found out that works for me.
  7. Good job in losing 18 pounds! It doesn't sound it, but it is a lot! If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you? It gives if you haven't yet, figuring out your BMI would be good, and you need your height for it. I almost went to university for nutrition, but decided last minute not to but it's still a big interest of mine.

Some things that help lose a few pound without going diet crazy would be to not eat after 6 or 7 pm. It's because most people are not that active in the evenings, but if you do need a snack go for something like fruit to raise your blood sugar for the rest of the night.

Drink lots of water! I know it's been said, but it really is important for your entire body! Not only to help lose weight, but also with organs including the skin.

Try going vegetarian once a week. Not eating meat at least once a week helped my grandfather lose a little weight, plus it wouldn't hurt to try new vegetarian meals, they really can be quite good!

The 5lb free weights are good to tone a little bit, and walking and biking are good for cardio, but also remember to stretch. Stretching burns calories like a work out, thats why yoga and such are so good for the body. Plus 5 minutes of stretching will wake up your body for the day.

Hope I helped a bit. :)
  8. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    The key here is blue. Don't waste your time with the red or green ones...those suck.

brad cook
  9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Drinking lots of water (have a half-done bottle beside me right now.) I haven't had regular soda regularly for over a year, and drink even only the diet stuff when I'm out. About a week ago I got a whole bunch of juice boxes -- grape, and an apple/orange/peach cocktail, all unsweetened, and each box contains 80% daily vitamin C.

Mmm, thankie.

Kelly Lee -- wow! Thanks. I've always heard the same as far as reps vs. weight goes (I remember more of health/gym than I thought I did.) As far as the little 5lb weights go, I can actually hold both at once rather comfortably so I can lift both, effectively doing 10lbs.

Bluemeanies -- to be honest, I have no idea how tall I am. I'll definitely try out the not eating later thing...makes sense to me! I've just gotta get my dad's bike out and clean it up (I haven't owned a bike in a loooooong time, but his is the right size now.)

Thanks a bunch guys, especially you Brad...you're my inspiration :).
  10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
  11. haha I'm kind of a fitness/nutrition guru, I'll tell you the key to getting stronger is more weight... pushups are great, but they are more for muscular endurance... like boxers throwing punches. With no access to a gym do what I do, use things around the hous.... (big culligan watter things work nicely as weight.

Diet is important, dont eat too much bread, or high fatitems like cheese. Try to split your meals up into smaller ones, you can keep breakfast, lunch supper deal, but have "snacks inbetwwen so you dont take in as much at once.

Like others have said, walking does wonders. Jogging, biking, rollerblading.... people dont realize how much just doing a little something extra adds.... I mean really... people go well I excercisea half hour a day why arent I losing weight? well... try walking to work school(if possible), walk to the grocery store.... Thats hat makes a difference in the averae persons life.

I ride my bike everywhere... sure it only does a little at a time, but other than driving my van it is 100% better.
  12. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California

If I was gay, I could love you.
  13. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    I second the bike riding thing. It's a major muscle group, and it's an excellent cardio work out.

At one point I could no longer afford a gym and turned to cycling. It'll get you sweating.

Also, drink gallons of water. You will be stunned by how much weight you can loose by drinking water.
  14. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You make my heart go pitter-patter.

brad cook
  15. simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    I hate gyms, so I just bought myself a dumbell set. I don't want to get bulky, I just wanted decent muscles and so far it is working very well!

I started off with light dumbells (8lb I think) and did upper body stuff every night for about 3 months (I don't know how I got the motivation). It made a huge difference but I was pretty weedy so I moved up and now use 15lb dumbells, and also realised I had to do some lower body stuff so as not to look freaky.

3 times a week I do a routine of:

Upper body:
    Bicep curls (called hammer curls - google them)
    Overhead tricep raises
    Chest flies (on a bench)
    Shoulder presses
    Single arm rows (back exercise)
    Shrugs (trapezius)

Lower body:
    Calf raises
    (all holding dumbells)

And I realised after doing crunches every night for 6 months that it made me look fatter because I still had a layer of fat on my gut, and the muscle behind was bigger. So I now go on runs and it makes a HUGE difference. After a couple of weeks of running you'll feel and look better.
  16. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    There are a gazillion things you can do around the house to get toned up. I highly recommend however that you make at least a small investment. I'd start with a really good book on fitness. There are lots of them, my favorite is one put out by men's health called Banish Your Belly. It has TONS of stuff on everything and anything regarding fitness, plus it's cheap, easy reading, and has lots of demonstration picture.

I'd also invest in a set a dumbells. The 5 pounds weights you have in the house really aren't going to do much. You used to carry almost 2X that weight around with you everywhere you went before you lost it. :) As someone else said, a cheap 110 barbell set wouldn't hurt much either. Doorway chinning bar for $20 would really complete the picture. There's so much other inexpensive stuff you can buy too.

I've been in the best shape of my life for 5 years now and I'm still going strong. One of the most important things I learned this time around is it's got to be fun. If I HATE exercising, I'm going to dread it and not do it. I have good days and I have bad days. I miss a week or 2 here and there. I gain a few pounds a couple of times a year. I drop them just as quickly. Basically I don't beat myself up over anything. If I have no energy whatsoever I'll still often drag myself to the gym, but I'll say "this will be a 'form' day", where I'll use very little weight and practice my form. Without putting the pressure on myself I usually wind up having a pretty good work out. When I used to kill myself my younger days at the gym, I hated it, and missed lots of days.

Last thing I'll say is that all of my diet changes came about real gradually as it seems yours are. I think they stick that way. I'm beginning to believe some people are born vegetarian and some will simply never be. If it were a huge sacrifice for me, I wouldn't be a vegetarian, it's that simple. I haven't eaten any kind of fish or flesh in over 10 years though, and I think it's been one of the healthiest moves of my life. The change I've made that I think has had the most impact was cutting out processed sugar (or as much of it as I can). I read a book Sugar Blues a shile back that completely freaked me out and I gradually got that poison out of my life. All of America is addicted to processed sugar. It does nothing but rob the body of nutrients and cause thousands of other problems, hardly anyone knows anything about it, and most people don't even want to consider letting it go.

I could go on and on - I'll stop now.
  17. TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    This time last year I weighed 230lbs. Today, I'm at 165 and in about as good a shape as I've been since playing football in Junior High. I'm 5'-11" and 42 yrs old.

No, gym membership and no fancy excercise gear.

I started eating better and excercising. My diet is 6 small prtion meals a day consisting of carbs, protein and vegtables. I do not count calories or carbs or anything. The only foods I avoid are the obvious sugary sweets, sodas, fried foods and 'enriched' breads (only eat whole grain).

I have a small weight bench that I bought for $35 and dumbbells ranging from 10lbs to 35lbs. I lift weights Mon, Wed, Fri and do a 20 minute cardio workout (running, or using a step stool for a 'stepper') on Tue, Thur, Sat. Sunday is a 'free day'.

Good luck and Godspeed on your efforts. :cool:
  18. I've lost about 40 pounds in the last 4-5 months, but I've also became a lot leaner. Eatting right and exercise is definitly the way to be.

See, make exercise important and find something to keep you motivated, once you see results it gets easier. right now I walk for 40 minutes on my treadmill at 5mph, then do three sets of running for 2-3 minutes. But before all that I do the Advanced Pilates Tape (started this one yesterday, was switching between Abs and Buns/Thighs for a while each day), this tape is about 51 minutes. Then on top of it I do my own pushups and some other minior exercises.

Just push yourself and stay motivated. I also look at pain is a form of progress, thats probably why I haven't given up yet cause I love to see how far I can go without wanting to die. Good luck !

19. I remember seeing a segment on his routine. It's something like run 8 miles, do 3000 situps, do 3000 pushups. Also, something about jumprope and basketball. Still, most of his physique is just a result of being a mutant.