EXH Signal Pad or similar outboard volume knob/pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jacoby75, Mar 26, 2018.

1. jacoby75

jacoby75 Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    Hey guys,

So I find myself in a bit of a predicament. I recently acquired a TC Spectracomp. I love the pedal, and I like a handful of the toneprints for various purposes. However, most of them result in a significant signal boost through the pedal's inherent "make up gain," and the pedal has no external volume control. I know I can go into the editing software and make a toneprint, turning off the make up gain, and that might give me one sound, but I like the ability to switch toneprints for various purposes. And as I understand it, you can't adjust the preset toneprints and turn off the make up gain, unless there was a universal/global make up gain toggle in the editor. And I find using the editor to be inconvenient because of how my practice space is setup. I use the app frequently, but you can't make individual changes to levels within the app. I just need a way to control the volume externally to compensate for the boost to the gain when switching toneprints. At this point in my experimentation, I don't believe I need something to boost. Just cut.

My criteria are:
    1) Cheap (well, affordable. Definitely under $100. $60 or less ideally)
    2) Won't affect my tone (other than the volume)
    3) Takes up minimal pedalboard real estate (which is why I'm not necessarily considering a volume pedal.)

I have an EWS Subtle Volume Control that I use to attenuate my guitar amp, but it says those should not be use in a pedalboard chain because high end loss will occur. They're designed for effects loops.

I was considering the EHX Signal Pad. It certainly seems like the answer, and I could footswitch it in and out when I used different toneprints. Has anyone tried one?

Would you have other suggestions?

Thank you, as always.

2. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Edit: I have read online that the Signal Pad colors your tone when it's in use. Anybody have any experience to back that up with?

3. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
  4. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    Boss LS-2 could do that job, and you can set 2 levels of attenuation plus unity (When bypassed)

5. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    Interesting. So it's kind of like having two volume presets? That could come in handy. But would the compressor have to be in the loop? How would that work? I wouldn't want to bypass the pedal. Probably ever. I'm looking for something to put after the pedal, because I want the compressor to be on all the time. I just need some way to adjust the volume when switching presets.

6. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    This pedal can do many things, but basically, if you put nothing on a loop, the in and out of the loop is then internally connected. So if you place it after your compressor, just in and out like a regular pedal, without anything connected in the loops, you can use it in A/B mode.

It will give you a volume for A, and another for B, and you can switch. Or in A-B-Bypass Mode, so you will have your volume at unity when bypassed, and 2 different volumes avaliable by stepping one or to times on the footswitch (it cycles between A, B and Bypassed). That's how I used to use this pedal, just after my wireless receiver to compensate for different volumes for different basses. No signal loss or sound alteration, only volume changes.

jacoby75 likes this.
  7. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    That could come in really handy. I could theoretically set up three presets with different volumes. Thanks for the tip.

8. jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Coldwater, MI
    FWIW, I put my TC Spark Boost after the Spectracomp and engage both to cut the volume slightly when I engage the Spectracomp. Works like a charm. Plus the Spark gives my signal that little extra something-something.

PlatoFunFactory likes this.