1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Exhibit B - Instruments My Father in Law Makes

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JazzyJams, Aug 26, 2012.

1. JazzyJams

JazzyJams Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2010
    NJ
    Marketing - BC Custom Guitars
    OK - I accidentally started a fire storm a month or so ago when I posted pics of some basses my Father in Law made for me. They ARE copies of instruments he finds on the web. Most of you were very supportive but a few folks were sure I was a scammer of some sort, got nasty and the thread was ultimately shut down. Well I have some pics of a guitar (I know it's not a bass, I'm sorry) this amazing 80 year old guy is working on that I wanted to post. This is a strat style guitar made form 3 woods, Bolivian Rosewood, Padauk and Zebra. The neck is chiefly Oregon black walnut. You can see the layers prior to shaping, the neck with headstock prior to shaping and truss rod in his hand, and mounting rings for the EMG humbuckers he made out of wood. There are also pics of his workshop. Enjoy - I hope.

http://s1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh514/jonaslandau/Strat style guitar under construction/

Attached Files:

2. SwagAttack

SwagAttack

Sep 14, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Oh man I remember that thread. I believed you, there were some subtle differences that I could see. Another amazing build though. Very cool wood layering.

3. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I will need him to send me one to test for a year or so to decide...hee hee.

4. Coldmilk

Coldmilk

Jun 13, 2011
    San Diego
    Wow, I remember that thread too. I'd love him to copy one of my instruments!

5. That's great! My dad totally took to woodwork in his retirement as something to keep him busy. You are doing your father in law a huge service by taking an active interest in his hobby. Would love to see pictures of the other instruments he made!

6. JazzyJams

Apr 4, 2010
    NJ
    Great to hear about your dad. It's really important to have something late in life that excites you. Here's a link to the 4 basses he made - all from very cool woods. 3 of them are copies - in fact 2 of them are the ones that a couple of guys in TB were sure were a refinished Schecter and a refinished Ibanez that I (the ripoff artist) was surely going to put up for sale. Copies or not - they play beautifully. The Michael Spalt copy was checked by our staff composer (I work for NFL Films). He is a master musician (guitar especially) but he writes for strings, horns etc as well and he flipped over it. Said the intonation was perfect. It's really punchy too. Here's a link to those pics. Cheers.

http://s1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh514/jonaslandau/Bass Guitars/

7. JazzyJams

Apr 4, 2010
    NJ
    @ coldmilk...I'll see what I can do pal.
    @Stinsok....ditto
    @swagattack...yes if you know wood and grains and stuff you can see the difference. I'd bet that cocobolo, limba, wenge, padauk, zebra and bolivian rosewood are not part of a regular commercial application.
    Cheers to one and all.

8. bostonasphalt2

bostonasphalt2 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Field of man, MA
    Very nice!!! Some people need to be told to pound sand IMHO :)