1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

exotic ac booster before jhs muffuletta?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cromag31, Mar 15, 2017.

1. cromag31

cromag31 Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2014
    orange county New York
    would having this boost before the fuzz degrade the fuzz sound?

2. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    I'm not sure what you mean by degrade the fuzz sound. The boost will boost the input signal before the fuzz pedal, so if you boost too much, you'll clip the input on the fuzz and the sound could be pleasant or unpleasant depending on what you're after.

More details are needed, such as, active or passive bass? what amp and cab? what other effects are in the loop? Do you already own one or the other? Which are you seeking to add, and why?

These things are a big help, IE.... if I love a clipped fuzz pedal sound, of course i'm going to say it sounds great. However, you may hate a clipped fuzz sound, so my opinion is void.

3. cromag31

Feb 25, 2014
    orange county New York
    its all passive. but running my muffeletta with boost when im on the black russian setting it sounds dead with low volume. other settings its fine?

4. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    how does it sound with moderate volume?

5. Eric!

Eric! Commercial User

Jan 22, 2009
    America's High-Five
    Mojo Hand FX
    I love to hit muffs with cleanish boosters (Klon-type especially). Brings a lot of clarity out.

But then again I also love to hammer muffs (*giggle*) with loud distortions to make the muff clench up and compress.

6. cromag31

Feb 25, 2014
    orange county New York
    ive got to try that.

7. Pacodelivery

Pacodelivery Supporting Member

May 25, 2014
    Baltimore
    There's another whole school of thought that says you should put a boost after your muff. That's one of the keys to David Gilmore's sound on a lot of early Floyd records. It helps to clarify anr concentrate the sound, with the right combination