Exotic Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LowF#, Apr 3, 2002.

1. LowF#

LowF# Guest

Apr 2, 2002
    Midwest USA
    I know there have been lots of threads about custom basses but lets make this one about exotics. Multi String Extended Range, Multi Scale, LED Side Markers, Exotic Woods, Unearthly Inlays, MIDI Electronics whatever you want. This is your chance to go all out!! Heres mine:

Conklin 9 String
    Gold Hardware
    Gotoh Tuners
    34-35" Multi Scale Bridge with Piezos
    LED Side Markers
    Rock Maple and Purpleheart Neck
    Ebony Fretboard
    Swampash Body
    AAAAA Grade Flame Maple Body Top and Back
    AAAAA Grade Flame Maple Headstock Cap with Conklin wrote in Mother of Pearl
    Purpleburst Finish on Body and Headstock same as on the Bill Dickens 7
    Demeter On-Board Preamp
    Lane Poor Pickups-if they were still available=(
    RMC MIDI Electronics
    John Myung-esque Infinity Inlay running the full length of the fretboard made of individual dots of Abalone and Mother of Pearl

Now thats just my idea, if you don't like it than cool, post yours and we'll all check it out too. But if you ask me, it sounds like Johns next project (HAHA) :D
  2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that sounds pretty cool, but i'm not into myung enough to have his symbols on my bass ;) besides, i have no use for a 9. i've got my 2 8's, but my main workhorse is a 7, and that's probably what any more basses i get will be. call me limited. :D

if you ever do get the chance to have a custom bass made by bill conklin, check out the melted tops - man, the different woods look _so_ much better than any paint job, imo.
  3. Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    this is my exotic bass thats being made:
    4 string, with hip shot d-tuner on the e string.
    spalted maple top, with matching head stock. neckthrough birdseye maple and wenge neck. string through body. purpleheart fretboard with blue front leds and a unicursal hexagram inlay on the 12th fret. mahagony back. seymour duncan jazz pickup at the neck tilted at an angel. duncan musicman pickup with coil switch. aguilar obp-1 pre amp with active/passive switch, on/off switch and passive tone knob wired in.
  4. - 5-strings
    - 36" AAAAA Grade Maple neck.
    - Ebony fretboard
    - nut made out of a human collarbone
    - brass frets 2.9mm
    - chrome gotoh tuners
    - ABM single sadle bridges with piezo
    - AAAAA Grade Maple body.
    - " smoke " finish ( clear finish, but a little darker )
    Mat silver hardware
    - mother of pearl AllodoX portrait inlay on the 12th fret.
    - Allobass signature on the headstock
    - Allobass JazzX-5 neck pickup
    - Allobass fatboy-5 bridge pickup ( 3-row MM pickup )
    - Allobass "kyrandia" onboard-tube-preamp
    - translucent blue sidemarkers

that's about it.. :)
  5. My desires are simple:

Conklin neck-through 7
    36 frets
    Maple/purpleheart neck
    Pau Ferro board
    Ash body
    Walnut top bookmatched to center with a flame-maple Sign of Chaos inlaid melt-top style
    Bart single-coil pup and 3-band EQ.

Oh dear, I've just delurked.
  6. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    human collarbone!?!

:eek: :(

this reminds me of getting it broken three years ago. not fun. my left shoulder is now slightly deformed...

anyway, back to the fun stuff:

well, all i really want (bass-wise, anyway) is a blue pedulla pentabuzz, like the one i played at bass central.

but since this is a custom thread...

five strings
    macassar ebony 'board
    cocobolo top and back (with congruous electronics cover)
    walnut body
    five piece neck [maple/bubinga(?)]

actually, i may get a DP like this. but that would mean i would have to concern myself with electronics and hardware.
  7. flames

flames Guest

Jun 30, 2001
    my house
    6-7 conklin
    side and front blue leds
    uhhhh i cant think of anything
    if i did it would make me wich i had it and i would cry like a little school girl because i cant have it:(
  8. arky86

Jan 29, 2002
    i'm really not a genius and it might be stupid but i would love to hook up my bass with a whammy bar but thats just me.:D
  9. I would consider the infinity symbol to be much more than "Myung's symbol." :D I personally love the idea of an infinity or pi symbol inlay (can you tell I'm a math geek?).

Those melted tops are really something else though. I'm not a huge fan of the actual "melted" look, but I think the wood design on your doubleneck is awesome -- very pleasing to the eye. You're really limiting yourself by not moving up to a 9-string though, John! :p

As for my custom bass, it would have to be basically a 6-string with an electronics setup nearly identical to some of JT's conklins (Lane Poors and Demeter Pre, RMC synth/piezo, etc.). The body would be swamp ash with a melted style top (again more similar to JT's doubleneck than most melted tops). The neck would be composite just like a Zon neck but with a truss rod for minor relief adjustments. Finally, it would have an unlined fretless resin impregnated birch fingerboard with 36 "frets" of range and side LEDs.