"Exotic" instruments.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BehindTheMoon, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Does anybody here play any "exotic" instruments? Sitar, sarod, oud, dilubra, tar, saz, esraj, tanpura?

Just interested.
  2. cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    Say What:confused: :eek:

3. What? You don't know what a dilubra is? ;)

Most of these are indian string instruments. The Oud is a bit more common.
  4. cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    I Cant even spell that....

5. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I had a balafon for a while. Only as a souvenir, though.
  6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i have a pretty cool kayagum.
  7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I can play the bodhran. -If that's considered exotic. When I got mine I got a book with it. the booked started off with a rant about how bodhran players are musicians too damn it! As a bassist, I know how he feels.....:D
  8. stingray96191

Jul 27, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Unofficially Endorsing Ernie Ball Music Man Guitars
    I can't play any of those, but i can play a pretty rockin' thermin.
  9. I'd love to get a theremin, but I don't have money to just toss around. Playing sitar would be cool (everyone jokes I already play it anyway, since I'm half Indian and most people don't know what the hell to make of the Ashbory), but it seems like a difficult instrument. . .but my Ravi Shankar "Sounds of the Sitar" album is one of my favorite CDs. I would need a bundle of illegal substances to reproduce the state of mind that music creates.

Isn't the tanpura roughly the Indian equivalent of a bass? Only 3 or 4 strings, lower in pitch (though it really just drones instead of plays bass lines, I think), and everyone says you don't need any talent to play it. I should ask my dad about that, since it's his culture and all.
  10. I have a Birimbao.

It's a one string instrument used in capoeira. Our brazilian TBers could give you a lot more information about.

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

EvilBassPlayer, what is your obession about the Texas flag? Yes, they look similar, but anyone can tell them apart. Have you actually had people mistake the Chilean flag for the Texas flag?
  12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000

I'll start by mentioning that it's spelled "Berimbau". ;)

It's basically a percussive instrument comprised of a long stick bent by a wire attatched to a gourd which amplifies the sound. The player gets sounds by striking the wire with a stick (while holding a small shaker) and damping the gourd with their stomach.

As for me, I own a Kalimba (thumb piano), a chinese erhu (a two stringed violin) and this other chinese wind instrument my mother brought from China and whose name she never found out. It's got six holes capable of producing six different tones. all tones can be played simultaneously if all holes are covered. It's bagpipe-ish, but warmer.

Here's a pic. any help identifying this instrument would be great.

13. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Actually this instument is not only employed during capoeira performances, a Brazilian form of "martial arts." The berimbau is used in quite a bit of Brazilian music and when one hears its unique sound, one can almost be sure the music is Brazilian.
  14. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

There are some "exotic" instruments in the U.S. When I played in a traditional blues band, we used spoons tapped on the knee or together for some percussion. We also blew into gallon jugs for a bass sound which we based on the early jug bands of the past before there were tubas and bass guitars.

We had read that some musicians used to rapidly bend steel saws for a unique sound, but we could never make that work. Zeideco bands to this day do still use laundry rubbing boards for a special percussion sound. We wanted to try that too , but never found just the right board for the task.
  15. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I play a little sitar, and at the moment I'm trying to pick up on the Kotu.
  16. Positive, it's quite annoying.

I will remove that statement from my location if you want.

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

No, it's not my business, I was just curious if you had run across that many ignorant people.:) I mean, they look similar, but anyone who paid any attention in school should be able to tell the difference.
  18. I know what you mean. The guy who's blowing my mind at the moment is Ustad Ali Akbar Khan.

I'm having a lot of difficulty getting hold of his albums, though. The selection in the "World Music" section of all the usual record stores is pretty much limited to "Sounds Of _Insert Country Here_!" and the like.

I'm not suprised, really.

As far as my very limited and entirely secondhand knowledge goes, it's a drone instrument (tonic and dominant) which provides accompaniment to the main performers.
  19. I play the didgeridoo.

I've even got some pics on my website.
  20. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Does a kazoo count?