Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Exotic scales: into them or not

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Feb 26, 2003.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Just wanted to post a thread about exotic scales and see how many people are into using them.

I'm personally not that big into them, but I do like the neopolitian scale. Some of them I just don't know if they really have any practical use in western music and tursin harmony.

Anybody want to talk about using exotic scales in solo's or even using them to compose from? Any exotic scales you favor? Anyone play any ethic music that utlizes an exotic scale? ect.

2. I mainly use the harmonic minor and its modes for writing. It gives my stuff, even the uptempo numbers, a mournful quality that I really dig.

3. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    Yeah, I'm into alot of Harmonic Minor stuff too(that's the b3 and b7 one, right Peter). (I don't know if you'd call that exotic)

4. C harmonic minor is C-D-Eb-F-G-Ab-B-C. (1-2-b3-4-5-b6-7).

The augmented second found in the scale and the three separate half-steps between degrees 2 and 3, 5 and 6, and 7 and the root lend it a eerie, edgy sound.

5. I will forever hate Neopolitan Minor scale after my stupid guitarist wrote a song in it and I had the task of singing it...never again do I let my guitarist choose scales/chords I have to sing without prior consent. Apart from that, Middle-Eastern or any other form of scales from Exotic sources are always fun and certainly add a nice change to boring old Rock-pentatonics...

6. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I tend to think more in terms of intervals than scales. If I hear something that sounds a little, shall we say, unorthodox, I figure out which intervals are used in what way to create that sound.

There are jillions and jillions of "exotic scales", most of which IMO you will rarely hear on this side of the planet, and most of which are probably components of a more common scale anyway.

7. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    naah, i wouldnt class harmonic minor as an exotic scale. i use it alot tho, as with jazz melodic which i think i prefer - as the chords that can be derived from jazz meldoic minor are 'ace'.

i found a web page somewhere - i think it was "Dave's 5 string bass page" that had loads of 5 note exotic scales and they were just other scales cut down - like the relationship as pentatonic to it's parent. so i wasnt particularly impressed.

I do dig the odd weird scale, alltho I've never managed to use one effectively

8. I suppose so. I use harmonic minor for modal stuff, mostly.

I want to get MP3s of my band posted!

9. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    I wanna hear your band too. Sounds like good sh1t.

10. mflaherty

mflaherty Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    What is tursin harmony?

11. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    It's harmony that's based around every note having a relative 3rd of some sort.

12. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Of course, I probaly have the word spelled entirely wrong. :p

13. mflaherty

mflaherty Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    I think it is tertian.

14. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Damn, my lousey spelling.

:D

;)

15. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I love learning exotic scales. I don't think I apply them much (if only unconsciously) to my writing, but I love learning what goes into music in other parts of the world. There have been threads on this here at TB before and I copied some scales that I've found an interest in:

Indian Raga Todi:
    1 b2 b3 #4 5 b6 7

Bhairvi Raga:
    1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7

Verdi's Enigmatic Scale:
    1 b2 3 #4 #5 #6 7 8

Indian Pentatonic:
    1 b3 4 5 7

Malkos Rage:
    1 b3 4 b6 b7

Asvari Raga:
    1 2 4 5 b6 b7 b6 5 4 b3 2 1

Also, Lucas Pickford's site has a nice explanation of raga scales HERE if you are interested.

16. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    It's really not what I would consider an "exotic" scale but my band does some pretty cool jams that are based on the whole tone scale (all whole steps). We've got one song we've been working on called "A-hole tone". We liked the play on words. :)

17. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Yes, I love the whole tone scale. You can just rip so much interesting music out of it. It's sometimes a bit difficult to smoothly stick it in a 4/4 type song since it's a 7 note scale, but it's worth working with.