Exp. with Sansamp RBI or Bass Driver DI programmable?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by David Harrell, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Anyone have any exp. with either of these units? I like the idea of the mid control on the RBI, but the switchable aspects of the DI programmable are enticing as well.

I've never used any sansamp DIs before, and I'm looking to add some warm to my 800rb.

Any suggestions?

2. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I use an RBI + power amp setup. The mid control is a plus but I think the greatest advantage over other SansAmps is the effects loop (the RBI is designed to be used as a preamp) with tha "50/50" switch (I use compression and EQ through this loop). It's ideal for using it direct to a power amp. For that purpose It has a hotter output than a BDDI or programmable BDDI. Only bad thing is the lack of presets, but then again, there's the PSA-1 for such purposes.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    huh, i wasnt even aware they made a programmable BDDI, must be new eh? I can see where that might be cool, i tend to use 2 settings, 3 at the most. however, i really dig the good old knob approach when it comes to most units. I'd also wonder how much of a sonic penalty you pay for the unit being programmable rather than using standard pots. :confused:
  4. PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    never used the programmable, but I used the rbi since right after it came out. You want to watch the "blend" knob--I often ended up with the blend knob rolled back to about noon. Otherwise you lose a lot of midrange, which is good in some cases but not all. The tone controls are very powerful and you can emulate just about anything. The sans amp rbi is a very good versatile unit for cheap--very functional and effective. The programmable seeems less useful to me--I'd probably just set it for a single basic tube tone and then a slap tone, but nothing else

I'm not using it any more (got an avalon u5 instead), but it's a great unit , especially for the price
  5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i almost never use the blend on my BDDI past noon (which is a 50%/50% blend between "wet" and "dry"). IME the sans amp can suck a ton of mids out. in some cases i've even gone so far as to run the bass and treble cut back to about 11 or even 10 o'clock to "boost" mids by default. that said, usually the "noon" on the blend control does fine. I dig the sans amp quite a bit, but i still veiw it as more of an effect than a preamp (even in the case of the RBI). I find myself using mine about 30% of the time at gigs, more so if i'm using my swr, as the sans excells for "warming up" the sound of that preamp.
  6. You wanna head over to the effects forum... it's out mid april. It's pretty much the same as the tri-AC as i understand and seen as many people love that unit I'm guessing you don't loose too much by having it programmable. It also does just 3 sounds!

It also has a line out boost button, I'm hoping so that you can boost the signal for use with a power amp.
  7. Thanks for the replies guys. I think it may be a go on the RBI...I'll prob use it to try and warm up my 800rb, if that doesn't suit me I'll prob get a power amp to back it up if I like to sound of it.

The programmable unit is supposed to be out this month, so I wasn't sure if anyone had any experience with it or not.