Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Expand my rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by c-ba55, Jul 27, 2004.

1. I have a GK 400RB-III (240 watts into 8-ohms / 150 watts into 4-ohms) and an Eden D-210XLT 4-ohm cabinet. (rated at 350watts). I like the sound. It handles the 5-string. I can carry it around easily. It's loud enough to compete with a drummer. Everything's just great. But in a big room, it can get lost. The amp has 3 knobs that mean "louder" in various ways, and they are typically set around half to 3/4. Turning them past there, in any combination of pre/post/boost, causes distortion.
    Can I add a speaker cabinet to this setup, modularly, so I just bring the second cab if I'm going to be in a big room?
    If I had a duplicate cabinet, the sound should be about the same but more air would be moved. That would be a 2ohm load though. If I got an 8-ohm version of the cabinet to add in, the total load would be sqrt(12)? ~=3.5ohms, which is close enough to 4, where things presumbaly won't blow up or anything. I could get an 8-ohm cab, and trade the 4-ohm cab for an 8-ohm cab, but that's a lot of work. Any other ideas? Would getting a duplicate cab in fact solve the big room / distortion at loud volumes problems?

2. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    depends how much money you have, you could get a 4 ohm eden 4x10xlt, and keep the 2x10, when you have big shows bring the 410, small and practices bring the 2x10, but this woulnt help the portability issue, good luck

3. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    FWIW, if you combine a 4 and 8 ohm, I belive its 2.7, not 3.5

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    big problem is when you combine an 8 ohm cabinet and a 4 ohm cabinet the 4 ohm cab will get 2x the power and sound louder than the 8 ohm one (assuming they are of equal efficiency)
    generally, if you have a head that can drive a 4 ohm load minimum and a 4 ohm cabinet, you have no room to expand

5. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Your situation is a common one. It's not so much a lack of power as it is a lack of speaker surface. I ran a 200 watt Marshall stack with 4x15's and it would tear the house down. Having only two speakers expected to carry your low end and lead the back rythem section is asking alot. That's alot to ask of any two speakers unless they are 12" or 15" in size. Only an opinion, but I would sell the Eden and get a 410 at the very least. You could then go for the Eden 410xlt or the 4ohm Ampeg SVT410hlf, which is ported for extreme low end similar to the xlt. Either one would throw alot more air and cost around $700.

6. The current rig is good for nearly all situations. I would like to expand it, not replace it with something that is too much for nearly all situations. Sounds like I should get rid of this cabinet and get two other cabinets which have similar properties to the Eden. (lightweight, can handle 5-string, sound good, loud) but are 8 ohm each. Any suggestions?

Or, something like the Aguilar GS 212, conveniently advertised just to the right as I type this. 103dB, 41Hz, 70 pounds, <2cuft, tweeter, but 12s. 44% more surface area. I haven't thought about cabinets in a couple years. Anything else have specs like that also?

7. ADuck5150

ADuck5150

Jul 31, 2004
    NJ
    I was actually looking to buy that cab, so if you're ever interested, send me an e-mail.

8. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Before spending that much you must look at Dr. Bass 2x12's. For the same $ you can get two Dr. Bass cabs and choose 4 or 8 ohm. Their web site does not include the cab but it's the best seller. Awesome cabs at only 52lbs. each. Eminence speakers handling 500w per cab. Dr.Basscabs.com. Just a suggestion.......