Expand your fellow TBers' horizons!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Jul 12, 2002.

1. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Recommend 5 songs to us, and we should at least check them out. No popular, #1, million selling songs. I think we'd already know about those!
    My five:
    "Three Libras" - A Perfect Circle
    "Running Away" - D'Influence
    "Bring You Down" - Incognito
    "Shaheed" - Soulive
    "Is It In?" - Jimmy "Bo" Horne
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Cool idea Woody!

• Blowbeat - Rocket Ship [Chainsaw Melodies, 1992]
      -> My favorite song of this amazing but sadly defunct Dutch band. Great playing by Pieter Douma on his Glockenklang-powered Musicman bass. Prime example of the Dutch band's incredible musicianship. Story: What happens when the engineers forgot to put a toilet in a spaceship. :D
    • Andy Timmons - Is This What You Want? [Ear-X-tasy, 1997]
      -> Great song that seemlessly morphs from jazzy to metal. Amazing song-writing and guitar-playing on the whole album by Simon Phillips and Ex-Danger Danger guitarist Timmons. Great singer too!!!
    • The Family Stand - Fienin [Connected, 1998]
      -> Great funky Mother's Finest-like song, the album ranges from Roachford-esque funk pop to deep soul -GREAT.
      I saw them open for the Peppers on the SBSM tour - and they kicked their asses! Great bass by Leslie Lemon, who plays Atlansia IIRC.
    • Lacuna Coil - My Wings [In A Reverie, 1999] Amazing song from Italy's best gothic/dark metal band, but really every song on this album is a keeper. Great vocal hook-lines on this one. If you like older The Gathering material - this is for you. Not as classic-inspired as most Scandinavian acts (a good thing IMO). Great interaction (no pun intended) between Christina Scabbia's angelic singing and the metal growls of Andrea Ferro.
    • Bob Mould - Hearbreak A Stranger [Workbook, 1989]
      -> Man, I love this album, and there are lots of memories attached to it. Bob's first solo album after Hüsker Dü's break-up was recorded on his farm in his homestudio - and so it's more quiet and acoustic than this other output. Great emotional songs. I like it very much.

That's all for this installment. More to follow soon. Maybe. ;)
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The Byrds- Turn Turn Turn
    28 Orange Street- Oklahoma
    Nothingface- Can't wait for Violence
    Flogging Molly- Salty Dog
    Vision of Disorder- Twelve steps to Nothing
  4. Tomahawk - God Hates a Coward
    The Pixies - Where is my Mind? (no doubt it was popular awhile ago, but most of my friends don't know it)
    Fugazi - Two Beats Off
    Fantomas - Cape Fear
    Mr. Bungle - Ars Moriendi (I know, a lot of Mike Patton stuff, but check it out!)
  5. Pigs (three different ones) - Pink Floyd
    The Great Below - Nine Inch Nails
    Apache Rose Peacock - Red Hot Chili Peppers
    I Dont Like The Drugs - Marilyn Manson
    Heart Of TheSunrise - Yes
    Blow Up The Outside World - Soundgarden

But I suggest always trying at leat a couple more than one song from any artist your sampling.
  6. JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    Everything Evil - Coheed and Cambria
    I Know - Fiona Apple
    Camera One - The Josh Joplin Group
    99 LuftBallons - Nena
    Closed Eyes - End of Me:D
  7. Listen

May 19, 2002
    Jaco- Opus Pocus
    Operation Ivy-Here we go again
    Rancid-Old Friend
    Flaming Boner-Jesus socks (yes it is jesus socks, and no it doesn't make sense)
    Dead Kennedys-Your Emotions
  8. The Stranglers- "everybody loves you when you're dead" (La Folie album)
    JJ Burnel's upfront P bass with pick- string bends, chords- probably a Chris Squire influence in there....plus provocative lyrics....

The Cult- "Resurrection Joe"
    a sort-of funk-rock song led by Jamie Stewart's chorused Stingray.
    use of harmonics in the breaks.

The Cure- "Torture" (kiss me...album) a vaguely similar chorused Stingray line, with drop-D tuning.

Psychedelic Furs- "President gas"
    another P bass user- here alternating from a mechanical staccato 8th-note line in the verse to an interestingly incongruous disco-style octave line in the chorus. use of delay in the middle 8 break.

oddly, all of these were originally played with a pick, but I prefer to play them fingerstyle....

also alt-rock but a very different tone and feel (fingerstyle),

Bauhaus- "She's in parties"
    a fretless P bass, I believe, providing a sliding line in the verse, and a muted dub-style line (thumb-plus-mute?) in the break.
  9. Negative - Mansun (a great band, generally unappreciated around my area)
    Through And Through - Life of Agony
    Like Every Day Is The Last - Hybrid Children
    The Bronze - Queens of the Stone Age (absolutely amazing guitar solo)
    Radiohead - Like Spinning Plates (live piano version, much better than the album track IMO)

Great thread idea :).
  10. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'm gonna name just one-

"Transition" by John Coltrane.
    Hear, feel, & sense the power & energy.
    All that turbulence outta one horn...
  11. NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Cooper Temple Clause: Who Needs Enemies When You've Got Friends

Bjork: Joga

I second JoelEoM's Coheed and Cambria mention.

Esthero: Breath From Another

Sigur Ros: Viðrar Vel Til Loftárása
  12. Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
  13. yo la tengo - sugarcube
    the smiths - ask
    built to spill - center of the universe
    and you will know us by the trail of dead - relative ways
    wilco - heavy metal drummer
  14. RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Moist-Believe Me

Pintsize-Portage Lake In Winter

Sharks Keep Moving-Try To Sleep

The June Spirit-New Jersey In My Rearview

Millencolin-Devil Me

Good, good stuff there...check it out:)

15. ok i jut typed my list with explinations and lost it. grrrr. i will edit in the explinations when it is not 3:30 am. for now, the list is all ya get, foo. keep in mind i didn't choose these songs simple because of the bass lines, but on the song in its entirety.

Saves The Day - rocks tonic juice magic
    Hot Rod Circuit - achy breaky hocky hair
    Get Up Kids - i'm a loner dottie, a rebel [alternate version]
    Suicide Machines - SOS
    AFI - the despair factor
  16. is that Roger Waters on bass, or was it Dave Gilmour?
    (Gilmour claims to have played a lot of the basslines on Floyd stuff)
  17. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Toto - Animal.
    Corporate rock? Nope. Sweet groove. Sexy song. Fun to play. On the Best Of CD.

Soulcracker - One Wave.
    Alterna-pop. Nice hooky song for passing traffic. On the At Last for You CD.

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones - Big Country.
    Fretless folkcountryrockjazz. Great tune that has a perfect momentum to it. Best of thge 20th Century CD.

Fishbone - Freddy's Dead.
    I love this more aggressive version of the Mayfield classic. Fishbone 101.

Yes - I'm Running.
    This is one of the most fun you'll ever have with a pick. Starts off with a lick that will stick in your head and tons of work on the low B, back when it was still new. Big Generator.
  18. Dream theater - A Change of seasons ;great epic song, one of my fav DT songs...

David Bowie - Oh, you pretty things!; my fav Bowie song from the Hunky Dory album, really cool....

Bob Dylan - The man in the long black coat; my fav Dylan song, from his best album Oh Mercy....

Blind Melon - Walk; gotta love that bassline...

John Lee Hooker feat Santana - Chill Out (things gonna change); just a very cool song, not so bluesy....

there are so many great songs out there I could go on forever....
  19. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I printed this thread to take with me to a CD store that I frequent. I'll probably get about 5 CD's from this list. I'll let you know which ones.

BTW, I totally agree with Fishbone's "Freddy's Dead", also check out "Psychologically Overcast" from the Chim Chim CD. Killer groove.