Expanding GK MB/E

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bazzjazz, May 23, 2003.

1. bazzjazz

May 23, 2003
    Dublin, Ireland
    New member looking for a bit of advice......

I play a Carvin LB76 through a GK MB/E combo. Great tone, but obviously no good at volume with lower frequencies, so I'm looking to expand.

My thoughts are to add in 2 2x10 cabs to give me 150 watts in stereo and also to add in a power amp to up the power.

This means I can use the GK on its own for practice, add in the 2 cabs for rehearsals and add in the power amp for gigging.

Does anyone have any experience of doing this with the GK, and what would people recommend for the cabs and power amp in terms of brands?

Thanks for your help..

2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    A GK MB150 can sound surprisingly huge by adding an extension speaker.

If you want low-frequency fidelity at high volume, I'd nix the 10" speakers altogether and go for a 12" or 15".
  3. bazzjazz

May 23, 2003
    Dublin, Ireland
    You could be right, Christopher. I've used a 4x10 cab with the GK with my old 4 string bass and I loved how tight the 10" speakers sounded.

I haven't had the opportunity to hear my 6 string through any external cabs yet so the lower frequencies might merit 12" speakers.

I'm also reluctant to be carrying around large cabs anymore. I had an Acoustic 4x18 a long time ago :)

Of course, 2 1x12 cabs might do the trick....

4. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Yeah, I've played through several alleged high quality 410s and all I got were farts on the low notes. They were loud farts, make no mistake, but they were still farts.
  5. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    That's true, I use a 1x12 as extension cab and the difference IS surprising. However I can blow away this 'mini-rig' with my 400W amp and 2x12 cab...

6. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I used to have the GK200MB. I used a JBL 15" as an extension cab for gigging and it worked well, especially when there was pa support. Your plan to add an additional power amp for loud gigs is a good one. Your rig will not be stereo. You'd just send the line out of the GK into the power amp. You'd probably want to turn off the internal speaker and use the GK as a preamp pushing the power amp running your 2 external cabs. Since you have a 6 string, I'd recommend something bigger than 10s, and make sure the cabs are efficient. I'd say Avatar is a good inexpensive bet, but you're in Europe and I don't think they ship there.