Expanding my Musical Taste

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mud Flaps, May 5, 2003.

1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I have a few bands that I am interested in and I'd like to find out some of their good albums.

-Red Hot Chili Peppers
    -Foo Fighters
    -Bela Fleck and the Flecktones (don't say Live Art, I have already ordered it.)
    -Jaco Pastorius

Thanks, if you have anyone else that you think I should check out, don't be afraid to make suggestions.
  2. Ok, well I would go with "Three Places in New England" and the "Fourth Symphony" both by Charles Ives.
  3. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Rush has a best-of album out now. So you could get that if you want to have an overview of their career.
  4. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Ok, well for Jaco, I'd suggest

• Jaco Pastorius (1976)
      His self-titled debut album. Great tunes, and great playing - very varied, and pretty accessible. A good intro to Jaco, and a great album.
    • Word Of Mouth (1981)
      His second solo album. Sorta a modern big-band album - far more arranged than the first album, with some lengthier tunes. IMHO, some of his best compositions are on this album ("Three Views Of A Secret", "Liberty City", and "John & Mary"). Jaco's bass playing is less up front in this. I think it's a very fine album, probably my favourite solo Jaco one - however you might find it difficult to get into.
    • Weather Report - Heavy Weather (1977)
      Weather Report's most successful album. Again, great tunes, great playing - two good Jaco compositions ("Teen Town", "Havona"). A great album. Like his debut solo album, very accessible.
    • Joni Mitchell - Hejira (1976)
      Jaco plays on four songs on this ("Coyote", "Hejira", "Black Crow", "Refuge Of The Roads"). Joni's on top form here, and so is Jaco. His bass lines here are markedly different from Weather Report & his solo stuff - but completely great.
  5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Since you've got "Live Art", get "Live at the Quick"

Also, their second and third albums , "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo" and "UFO TOFU" are pretty happenning recordings.

For Jaco, Check Weather Report's "Heavy Weather" and his self-titled debut. (It's spelled "Pastorius", by the way)

I'm not huge on Rush, but I like "Fly by Night", "Hemispheres" and "Moving Pictures"

The only RHCP album I ever heard at length is "Mother's Milk" and it's good, so I can recommend it.

Do yourself a favor, though, and get some different music, like Motown. I'd recommend:

Stevie Wonder, "For Once in My Life", "Songs in the Key of Life"

Marvin Gaye "What's Going On"

Any Motown collection of hits will be great too.

For some Jazz, get Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue" and Dave Brubeck's "Time Out"

Finally, get these, no questions, just get 'em:

"Rubber Soul", "Sgt. Pepper" and "Revolver".

Beach Boys:

"Pet Sounds"

And on this final note, I move this to RECORDINGS.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

My favourite Jaco with Joni is "Don Juan's Reckless Daughter" and "Shadows and Light" - live CD and DVD!

I also think that Weather Report's "Live and Unreleased" is another essential Jaco purchase along with the Birhday Concert - I prefer all the versions on here, to their studio incarnations.

So for example, I think the version of "3 Views of a secret" on the Birthday Album is far better than the studio cut !
  7. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yup, all of those are great too.
  8. Er, not quite. That "quote" is Cobain quoting Neil Young's "My, My, Hey, Hey" from the Album "Rust Never Sleeps"

9. deepbob

Oct 3, 2001
    left field
    some thoughts:

>> romantic warrior
    >> tuck and patti
    >> ira kere
    >> charlie hunter
    >> (live) spearhead
    >> jamiraqui
    >> steel pulse
    >> fishbone
  10. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Just so you don't go typing it into search engines - it's Jamiroquai not Jamiraqui.

And when you say Romantic Warrior - are you thinking of the album by Return To Forever?

If so, just to make it clear, Return To Forever is the band, Romantic Warrior is the album.
  11. Rush: I like Moving Pictures, Farewell to Kings, and Hemispheres.

RHCP: the definitive one is 'Blood Sugar Sex Magik'. I also like the Uplift Mofo Party Plan.

Flecktones: First record, Flight of the Cosmic Hippo, Left of Cool.

Here's some other stuff to check out:
    XTC, Oingo Boingo, Beatles, Motown, Yes, Led Zeppelin, Charlie Hunter, Pat Metheny, Miles Davis, Wayne Shorter, John Coltrane, Wes Montgomery, Thelonious Monk, Bill Evans (piano player)

I know that's all over the map, but isnt that kinda what this thread is about??