Expanding my vocabulary

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bardolph, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I will be taking the ACT sometime and I took one of the practice tests a few days ago. I did pretty well on everything but I could tell I was really held back because there were a lot of words in the verbal section that I just didn't know. What is a good way to improve vocabulary relatively quickly, or is there one?
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    What's the old adage? Those who look for short cuts are bound to fail

something to that effect.

The only way to increase your vocabulary is to...increase your vocabulary. Here are some things you may want to try.

~sign up for multiple "word of the day" dictionary services, now, aside from just glancing at the word, actually make an effort to USE the word in conversation, at least a couple times that day.

~Don't settle for "oh this word will do", rack your brain for a different word, and if you can't think of one THESAURUS TIME!

The Thesaurus will not bite, it's your best friend.

Other options you may look into, opening up your dictionary to random pages and reading different definitions of new words, as you read them, write the words down, and be sure to look them up in a thesaurus, and on other dictionaries, and really get a sense of how they are used.

you could try taking foreign words to you to google, learn how the word is used, then do a search for that word, *shrug* could yield some interesting results.

Try and get a friend into this too, you and your friend can have a dandy time incorporating new words into your daily conversations.

and lastly.... pusillanimous is a cool word, it means cowardly.
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    are my two most used online dictionaries.

I think the OED is online too now, but you have to pay to access it.
  4. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I agree with Wrong Robot - there is not short way to do it. But, consider reading some older english literature like Shakespear etc which uses "old english" and consider reading advnaced novels by well renowned authors - reading is one of the best ways to expand your vocabulary because you get to see words in context.

The internet is one of the worst ways to expand your vocab because so many people use poor language and grammar on the internet that you are bound to pick up bad habits and see words used inappropriately! :)
  5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

Take some time to go back and reread your post, is everything spelled correctly? Did you use any words improperly? how is your grammar?...etc.

The real way to improve is with consistency, you could study every day, but if you end up slacking off while you post on the internet, you won't get very far. ya know?

True, there is a little leeway here, there is a lot of internet colloquialisms and vernacular* that kind of slips in under the radar, but in general, try your best to be diligent about this type of stuff.

*two great words ;)
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    There is a section in each Readers Digest called "Word Power". Check it out. Then challenge yourself to start using a word or two from the list each day.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

8. Wrong Robot has the right advice! :)

May I suggest crossword puzzles?

Also, read as much as you can, and keep a dictionary right next to your computer.

Mike ;)

Right on target. Mark. ;)

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

No video games, MTV, or VH1.
  11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

yeah! crossword puzzles are great, any word game you can play, play it, fun and edumutational :D
  12. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Thesauri will do wonders for your vocabulary, but will probably hurt your grammar if you're not reading.

Read, read, read...that will increase your vocabulary and grammar skills better than anything, imo.
  13. r u makin fn o me? (mistakes on purpose)
  14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
  15. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Instead of reading "JugHead" comix, MAD, or "Playboy" when you go to the john, take a dictionary.
  16. Never mention Miss Steak unless you also mention Mr. Baked Potato. :eek:

Terrible, I know. :p

Mike :D