Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

expanding on scales?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by metallicarules, Aug 15, 2001.

1. Ok I have learned a lot of scales and although some are a lot easier than others I have been able to improvise using most of these scales. My problem now is I'm making stuff up but I get stuck using only those exact 8 notes, if I try move over to a different part of the neck and use the same scale it sounds bad. I know guitar scales go over more than one octave so does anyone know of a site where I can learn to expand on the scales I already know? This probably makes no sense but I tried.

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Do you know the names of the notes in the scales, or are you just playing a certain pattern. If you know the names of the notes on the scale, what I would do is simply try and play them somewhere else on the fretboard.

Take C major.

Do you know all the notes of C Major? If so, find another C on your fretboard, somewhere that you're not used to playing at. Play the C, then find the next note of the scale, D. Then keeping doing that until you've played the entire C major scale. Then, find another C on the fretboard, and play the scale from there.

I highly encourage you to do this for all 12 keys.

Once you've done that, can you do that for the natural minor scales, the minor and major pentatonic scales, the blues scale?. Learn to play all these scales at every place you can on the neck, for all 12 keys.

Do you know how to make a major, minor, pentatonic, or blues scale?

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    It's also important to learn how to play all of the scales that you know both ALONG and ACROSS the strings. It sounds like you are only playing ACROSS the strings at the moment, and this has a tendency to put you in a box when improvising.

4. ok, I can find notes on the fingerboard easily, but the way I know most of my scales are say ionian would be 1 2 3 4 5 6 7, aeolian would be 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7. So I mostly patterns I guess. Say I take aeolian, I want to be able to play more than just one octave, do I just play the same set of notes over again higher on the neck?

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    You can play the same set of notes higher on the neck, or you can play them climbing up a single string, or you can use a combination of the two. All two octave scales on 4-string bass require some position shifting, and planning the shift(s) is the most crucial part. If you learn the interval structure of the scales you're using, and keep in mind at all times what degree of the scale you're on (not note names, but scale degrees as numbers in relation to the root), you can learn to shift on the fly and still keep your balance.

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Damn, Chris! That might have been obvious to some, but it was PERFECT. Listen folks, truer words were never spoken.

And learn your arpeggios.