Expansion of "Ignore" feature

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    This one may be a long shot, but I've noticed that as TB (especially the BG forums) has gotten more traffic on a daily basis, it seems to get harder to find threads of interest quickly. For a while, I used the "new since last login" feature a lot, as it was a quick way to review which new threads and posts I had not seen yet. But now when I do this, I find that this search often returns 12 pages of results or more! Good for the site, but bad for finding anything quickly....

What about the idea of being able to set entire forums to "ignore" status for the purpose of the "new since last login" search (or even in general)? For instance, two of the forums I have the least use for on the BG side are "Basses" (because I 'm not in the market for a bass) and "Off Topic". Unfortunately, these are also the two forums with the most traffic on the site by far, so when you click on "new since last login", it seems like almost half the posts you find and have to wade through are from these two forums.

If it were possible to personally set the parameters of the "new since last login" feature to exclude unwanted forums, it could save a lot of time in trying to "scan" through TB on a daily basis. In addition, if it were possible to set entire forums (for me that would include the two I mentioned plus Tab, effects, and a few choice others) on ignore, then the site would look a lot more manageable when loggin in and trying to find items of interest quickly.

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    That's a great idea. I do the same thing (new since last login), and with the exception of looking at pretty basses (ooooooo, pretty basses......), I'd love to exclude tab and off topic from my searches.
  3. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I'd like to be able to set up a custom search to run on login, such as 'show me all threads that I've posted to that have been updated since I last logged in'. I do have a bookmark pointing to the list of my postings but that only shows the most recent ones, not the ones where the conversation has developed.

At present I generally begin either with 'New Since Last Login' (when popping on throughout the day) or 'My TalkBass' where I can subscribe to forums of interest.

For what you were asking, Chris, would subscribing to your preferred forums on the 'My TalkBass' page be an answer? The information about which have been updated is displayed, although you still have to drill down - I agree that it would be nice to see all new postings from those forums as another custom search.