Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by RRuud, Mar 7, 2006.

1. RRuud

Jan 25, 2006
    We all have different expectations of how other people should act(in a band). But I'd like to hear your expectations. So please, list em here.
  2. Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Lol, after my horribly whiney post I'll say, "Like a democracy"
  3. Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    I think that the less expectations you have in that area, the happier you'll be. Everyone in the band has their own ideas as to this. They almost always don't match! If you're fortunate enough to contribute in a band where, at least, more than half of the band direction is agreed upon and executed by all members, you've got a good gig I would think.
  4. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN

Nothing much matters after that. :smug:
  5. BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    If they could just be enough like me so I know they'll act OK... and different enough that they help me grow, then I'll be happy. (right)

Direction of the Band (what music, what to do with that music, what kind of performances, recording)
    Time expectations (how much time to put in)

These are two of the major stumbling blocks... you gotta talk it out and make sure you say what you mean.

There are two major kinds of bands, one that is basically a democracy takes a lot of honest talk and hard work. The other is a band leader group, where one person sets the goals, hires the sidemen and takes care of the business of running the band--all this takes is an organized musician leading the group and the sidemen to understand they are hired to do a job.

Either one is fine as long as the work gets done. Problems will rise up when one kind of band tries to be the other kind. If one person tries to lead the democracy... or if the leader isn't up the to task and other people start doing his work, bad things will happen.
  6. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Respect the other members of the band, and have fun.

To me, things fall after that. If this is a professional band, respecting other members includes the details like promptness, and being prepared.
  7. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Professionalism, staying employed, at least minimal dedication to musicianship.
  8. need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    I think having an open musical mind goes a long way. I like alot of different music and some people fail to see why. They just laugh and call it stupid or boring.

Other than that, be on time, be honest, be professional, respect everyone, be humble, etc...
  9. Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    It's sad. I have very low expectations for band members, which I imagine comes from being burned so often.

I just expect a certain level of dedication. I expect if you say you'll be somewhere, be there (eventually).

I expect that if you say you'll do something, do it (soon, preferably).

I expect that if you're having problems with a section, as least figure out what you have to do to fix it. I don't care if you take it home or not, but I do want you to be able to fix it by the next gig (whether that's in 3 days, 3 weeks, or 3 months).

I expect you to help load, unload, set up, and tear down.

I expect you to constantly get better.

That's pretty much it. If you can't make practice, that's cool, as long as you didn't tell me you'd be there. If you expect to be paid, please expect to help me move PA gear around. If you need to borrow gear for a few weeks, cool. Few months? Not cool. I don't care if you practice 3 minutes before rehearsal or 3 hours every day. Just get better. More specifically: just don't get worse.

FWIW, this philosophy is working fairly well (although it's not as efficient as others). Keeps the pressure level down and the fun level up.
  10. Well I don't know if you would call these expectations or not, they are just basic rules of professionalism I was taught when I was playing in the big band in college. I had to sit down with my female singer last week to talk to her about these points:

1) Don't pout, whine, etc. We had to cut 2 of "her" songs (actually she just did the lyrics since she's musically illiterate) and she came back with a snotty "why don't you just cut all of my songs". That triggered a big blow-up 3 days before a gig.

2) When rehearsal time is 7:30, that means be ready to go at 7:30, not walking through the door at 7:50. Once you get a warning twice and you would have been fired in the big band world.

3) The gig isn't over until all the equipment is put away. She likes to go off and mingle with people as soon as we get done playing. Just because she is the singer, doesn't mean she's exempt from setting up equipment and tearing it down.

Really just basic stuff we learned in kindergarten: Don't whine when you don't get your way, be on time, and help put the toys away.
  11. gdawg27

Jan 12, 2006
    Well my expectations for band members are:

1) Know the lyrics to the song we're performing. Don't read lyrics off a piece of paper at a gig.

2) Don't take constructive criticism personally.

3) Rehearsals shouldn't comprise of playing the same songs we always play without going over any problem sections.

4) The ability to know which sections are problem sections.
  12. Respect is paramount, as is being communicative with EVERY MEMBER OF THE BAND.

I've had experiences in the past in which decisions were rendered solely by the lead guitarist, and the vocalist, excluding every other band member.

An example being practice times.

If it's one thing I cannot stand, it's the "spontaneous practice."

That being, the random phone call saying, "Hey, aren't you coming to practice in ten minutes???? We didn't tell you? Oh, I was sure we did. Okay. See you in ten!"

Give me a break!

13. Simple stuff really. Underpromise and overdeliver. Don't say you are going to have your guitar part/vocal parts down and then fail to deliver.

Anything that you do that makes me look bad by association with you is not going to fly with me.