1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Expelled GAS after Rumbled Fantasy...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Greywoulf, Sep 11, 2019.

1. So I have decided this time to desperately fight off my GAS! But the 'lil Max 126 combo I possessed was definitely not a large enough sound for me, even as a recycled 'newbie' student bassist, even as an old GAS fighter who ran amok decades ago obtaining high end bass gear he learned too little about and rarely played...
    So I see this used Rumble 40 online (from Sam Ash) and it's only a little (I am thinking) bit larger than the 25 Rumble I was considering, and only about $60 more also?
    So it arrives from UPS onto my stoop. And I take it into the house and it's now suddenly frigging HUGE! -It just will not fit under the desk in my office half of our dining room. It's inches too large... And of course she notices and I get the look......... ;>(

And I have to stop and think about this. I mean, I only wanted something big enough to sound decent as I learn and practice in our home. And although I still do get the occasional call as a percussionist (usually always for non-paying gigs too), still, most of my gigging days are done with and over. So why do I need more louder watts, or an XLR line o/p, or a pedal i/p line, or a 10" speaker instead of an 8", or some addl fancy sound sculpting??? Wouldn't the under-desk-fitting 25 really be far more suitable for my present circumstances?

So there's a Sam Ash store not too far away (18-20 miles maybe) from me in NJ, and they inform me that yes, they will take back the used Rumble 40 back, will then sell me the 25 instead, and will refund me the difference. So this is what I do... I go from a Rumble 40 to a Rumble 25. -Is that backwards? Does this sound nuts to you?
    But hey, she's happy. I'm happy. Even the cat and the dog seem happier!
    And the new Rumble now fits under the desk. And my GAS has considerably decreased!
    So wot the hell, I say........ ;>})

{And who knows; if I get good enough again on bass maybe I'll get a lot of calls for gigs where they're especially looking for an old geezer who only plays bass sitting down...
    -So then there's the Rumble 100, right??????}
    Greywoulf

alanloomis1980, Dave3 and G-Dog like this.
  2. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Bonus points for the title... I think. ;)

Sounds like it's all worked out (player, pets, and partner happy) for now and if, in the future, you need a bigger rig, you can always elevate your desk.

Have fun! Play well!

Pocket4 likes this.
  3. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Portland
    I have a Rumble 40 and use it for rehearsals and small room gigs. I couldn’t/wouldn’t go smaller because it wouldn’t be loud enough.

IME you kicked the cab down the road while expelling GAS and made your family happy. Cool

4. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    To my mind its foolish to try and second guess what you'll need tomorrow. And bass gear is in general better than its ever been, so the smart money is that when you need something different there'll be better alternatives available. So if you compromise what you get today with what you think you might need in the future, not only do you have a second rate option today, but even if the imagined future comes about, what you've got will probably still be a second rate option tomorrow.

Also, good amps are a lot easier to find than good women...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 1:58 AM
    biguglyman likes this.
  5. Dave3

Dave3

Sep 11, 2019
    I had to read the thread due to the great title!

6. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Greywoulf :)

When smaller works for you, that' s fine!

But you know the rules!

Pics of the cat and dog or we aren' t happy! :D

greetings

Wise(b)ass

Jim Carr and alanloomis1980 like this.
  7. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    [​IMG]

8. I'll eventually get together some gear photos for the combo club. -Two BGs and one 25w Fender bass combo, and all for under $300! Wow- things sure are different (and a lot better) in the bass world today!
    But getting the cat and dog to pose together in a friendly calm manner will be difficult... They co-exist in a permanent state of cautious truce, which she regularly breaks by giving him a slap on the butt when he passes too close.
    Loved the short video clip too; -reminds me how lucky I've been to even reach 'old fart' status! -Way I wuz going I should've had an expired tag on my toe some 40 years ago.... (-Me and David Crosby, right? ;>})
    Namaste,
    {Greywoulf} ;>})

Wisebass likes this.
  9. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Practice standing up and go to jams. Gas will be in your future. :D