Expensive bass, cheap amp or expensive amp cheap bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by YellowBambooTre, Jul 17, 2013.

1. A) More expensive bass

42.0%
  2. B) More expensive amp an cable

58.0%
  1. Hello, I want to start playing the bass and I have a budget of $850. With this budget, I am considering 2 options: A) Hofner Contemporary + Ibanez IBZ10B + A $3 cable. B) Hofner Ignition + Roland Micro Cube Bass RX + Planet Waves gold plated cable. Which choice do you recommend? An amp with batteries isn't very important to me, Its just a luxury that would be nice.

BTW: Does any body know the difference between regular contemporary and a cavern contemporary.

2. bump

3. dls119

dls119

Jun 27, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    My vote is for:
    Cheaper bass
    Cheap cable
    Best amp you can get

Always buy a better amp than you need to begin with.

4. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Super bumper cross posting at its finest! How many other forums are you going to ask this in?

5. wooheehaa

wooheehaa

Jul 14, 2013
    up your budget alittle and get a hofner contemporary and a warwick b20. b20 itself is a superb amp on its own with wonderful tone. the only restriction is that it isnt loud enough do play along in a live band.

amp like ibz10b is a complete waste of money,, the tone, buzz and noise when driven is only going to demoralize you. if you could not up your budget, you could just get one of the amplug headphone amps and line it out to your computer speaker or your headphone. or get a irig programme.

6. I couldn't find a the warwick b20. Could you please give me a link?

7. wooheehaa

wooheehaa

Jul 14, 2013
    im sorry a typo, its warwick bc-20. check out the reviews and video. its a very fine practice amp.

8. The Warwick is too expensive for me, Then I would have to buy the ignition.

9. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Like I said, buy the bass you want and skip the amp.

10. But the Contemporary isn't hollow. I don't like physical stores and I don't want to pay twice the shipping. Is the Ibanez THAT BAD?

11. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    In my experience, a decent inexpensive bass (like a Squier Precision, say) and a better amp will outperform a more expensive bass and a cheap amp. You have to spend a certain amount of money to get a bass amp that's adequate. I spent some time checking out a lot of amps, looking to downsize, so I looked at some low-end amps. Without exception, they were crap, with poor build quality and worse sound.

And forget about an expensive cord. They are not worth the money, and with your budget, it makes a lot more sense to buy a good $10 cord than to sacrifice the money needed for good gear for a piece of what is essentially froufrou.:D

And get gear with trade-in value. As you grow as a musician, you'll need better gear, to the point that $850 won't buy you the amp or bass that you need.

Good luck. Bass is a great instrument.

12. Right_Butterscotch64

Right_Butterscotch64

Oct 18, 2012
    Why does it have to be hollow? That does nothing to affect your tone regardless of what some "wood matters" sales pitch says.

13. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    +1. Amp has a lot more to do with sound than the bass does.

14. What about these amps, are they any good
    Harley Benton HBW-20
    Harley Benton HB-20B
    Artec Cubix B2
    Hartke B200

15. but if the bass is hollow, wouldn't that make it loader without an amp?

16. danielfnj96

danielfnj96

Jan 29, 2012
    NJ, USA
    For me its:
    cheap bass
    cheap but good parts for when/if i mod it
    cheap cables
    ok amp
    ok pedals

17. rude_basstard

rude_basstard

May 2, 2012
    Maryland
    You seem to torn between polar opposites of the spectrum as far as cables are concerned. Planet waves classic series are cheap AND durable. If you get a three dollar cable, you'll be replacing it (or learning how to solder) in no time. Spend an extra $10, not an extra $25.

18. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    I don't like the choice of amp or bass for that matter, but you really need to be looking at USED and not new.

19. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
  20. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    your bass will only sound as good as your amp. Understand?

So, buy a cheap bass that has a good feel and good playability (Ibanez and Squier come to mind) and then put the rest of the money into an amp setup.