Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Expensive brand name amp and cab or expensive amp, cheap cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 5s_tring freak, Jun 25, 2002.

1. hey everyone,

Last saturday nite I played a fairly large venue, and I played another guys Ampeg 8x10 cab (i think) and an expensive amp. It confirmed to me that I need to upgrade rapidly!! Cos we are supporting that band for 6 more dates, I dont wanna be borrowing gear all the time.

Should I spend the extra cash and buy a recognized brand name cabinet, as well as an amp?
    There are a few companies around where I live that can make cabinets to the buyers specs and at a much cheaper cost. They are good quality. I could buy a decent cabinet for a cheap price, and spend extra money on a really good quality amp to go with it.

or should I buy both expensive cab and expensive amp? is an expensive cab really that much better than a custom made cheaper one?

as you can tell i dont have a heck of a lot of knowledge when it comes to amps and cabs, so any advice would be appreciated.

thanks,
    Rhys

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Of the two, the cabinet is more critical to your overall sound. Don't believe me? Try playing through two different cabinets using the same bass and amp head.

I would get the right cabinet first, then worry about the amplifier.

Whether a "custom" cabinet will sound better than a "name brand" is tough to say until you put the two side by side and listen.

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I'm not sure I agree completely. The thing is, the amp creates the sound that the cab puts out there. If your sound is bad at the beginning of the chain, no cab will fix it. To me the amp is somewhat more important.

Besides, I'm not sure you can necessarily even be sure what the "right cab" is if you don't know what amp you're going to be using with it. Not all cabs work equally well with all amps.

That said, it's certainly true IMO that there's no point putting a great amp through an utterly inadequate cab. What I'd do is get a decent-to-very good cab, then get the best amp I could afford, then upgrade or add cabs as I could.

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Get a good cab
    then get a power amp and a preamp rack mounted system..

5. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Montana
    IMHO, if you have a head capable of a decent sound, then the cab is the choice. If the head totally sucks, then a good cab is a moot point.

6. Would renting be an option? If you really NEED it for only 6 more shows, why bother shelling out mondo casho?

7. Those 6 shows are the definite dats we have for the next 7 weeks. I would rather buy some decent gear of my own than rent cos renting in NZ costs alot.

When i said get a comany to make me a cab, these companies aren't cheap and nasty. They make very good speakers, and are professional.

8. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Speakers are the weakest link in your system, so get quality. Aside from a few improvements in materials, speakers are still crude, very lowly evolved devices. That is to say their evolution hasn't kept pace with other audio technologies. Could it be that no one can find a way to improve upon the basic design? I don't know, but it always pays to buy quality.

9. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i personally go for the head. playing around with my 3 cabs(eden,epifani,crate) and two heads eden wt800 and amp bh420 i realized regardless of speaker i still liked the sound with my wt 800. i really didnt like the sound of the AMP and playing through the epifani didnt make me like the sound of the bh420 any more. i much prefered the wt800 through the crate cab than the AMP through any of them.

10. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    The custom cab would probably be fine IF you can get some O.E.M. or otherwise good drivers, and if the cab is ported correctly.