Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

expensive fenders or cheap ernie balls

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BassGod, Jan 23, 2004.

1. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Hey, i use these expensive Fender Super Bass strings, but im just 14, and i dont have much money left, and i cant wait for Christmas... i need to know if cheaper Ernie Balls would be a good choice.:bassist: :spit: :bassist:

2. I'd say they probably are, but it's mostly a metter of preference. Check them out and see if you like them.

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    my expereince has taught me that the price of strings means virtually nothing about how good or bad a string is.

strings are TOTALLY a matter of taste. the amount of time they last has to do with the way a person plays and his/her body chemistry. what one person wears out in a week might last me 6 months, what i consider worn out might be music to another persons ears. what sounds and feels great to me might sound like crap to you, and vice versa. i once won 4 sets of one of the most expensive strings on the market and i hated them. they sounded dead a lot quicker than the daddarios I use, and i really disliked the way they felt.

i've used many many different kinds of strings and finally settled on daddarios for myself. i also like smith strings. i don't like fender strings, Ernie Ball, and really dislike rotosounds. many people will tell you the exact opposite.

i say buy the cheapest strings you can now, see if you like them. next time buy something else. keep trying different brands till you find whats right for you.

also know that the guage of strings has much to do with how they feel and sound. lower guage is thinner sounding but easier on the fingers, higher guage deeper, harder on the fingers. i won't get into all that cuz i'l first assume that you konw it. if ya don't ask and others will help you out selecting the guage that would be best for you.

have fun.

4. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I totally agree with Joe Nerve. Buy cheap strings and see how you like them. In all of my years of playing bass and buying strings, there was only 1 particular brand of strings that I thought were absolute sonic garbage that had no business being on a bass. After that, it's a relative as to what you want out of your strings.

Tom

5. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Yeah, totally individual taste, but since you asked....I think EB strings are great strings for the price and I personally would not take Fender Strings if they were free. JMHO

6. Yeah, no kidding :rolleyes:

I hate my stupid sweaty hands...Strings don't last a week with me...
    I suppose I should re-wash my hands while playing bass every 10 minutes.

7. RNG

RNG

Jan 9, 2004
    Conway,S.C.
    I have EB's regualr Slinky's. I love them. They are nice sounding,feeling and all. I tne standard though.

8. KidNamedFord

KidNamedFord

Aug 17, 2003
    MI
    dude im 14 too... i dont have a real job but i teach this 18 year old bass for 5 dollars every half hour... one half hour a week... so i can buy a set of ernies every month... other than clean toilets and other **** for your parents and see if they will pay you... i saved up for a 1200 dollar stingray that way

what guage comes on an ernie bass when you get it straight from the factory... my sting ray should be here any day now

9. RNG

RNG

Jan 9, 2004
    Conway,S.C.
    I use and LOVE Rotosound strings. They sound good, and even get better with age. They are smooth and noiseless.
    AND CHEAP!!!!

10. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I put a set of EB Slinkys on my Fender Jazz V because that was all the store I was in had. Expected not to like them but was pleasantly surprised. Lasted about 3 months and have just put a new set on. I've got the feeling I'll be sticking with them for awhile. Doesn't hurt that they are reasonably priced also.