1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

expensive gear as...decoration?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by autodidact, Jun 1, 2011.

1. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    I'm at Disney World and I was in line for the Rockin Rollercoaster Aerosmith ride and at one point you enter the "studio" where they're working. Upon close inspection of the bass gear (I know I have a problem) 2 Hartke 410XLs, and Aguilar head, GK backline 600, and to top it all off a quick look at the headstock of the bass revealed "Sadowsky" equipped with what appeared to be EMGs.

I'm about to rob Disney.

2. Electricblue

Electricblue

Feb 1, 2011
    Norfolk
    This annoys me almost as much as bass collectors that keep amazing instruments in display cabinets purely to sell instead of playing them.

3. RFord04

RFord04

Apr 8, 2009
    Flint, Michigan
    I'd take the head and the bass...

Cool ride.

4. boriology101

boriology101

Feb 19, 2008
    OREGON
    I understand your point but you can't really blame them as long as they do everything legally. Also, we are in recession. Don't we need to do anything if that makes money? There are many jobs that are quite dirty that I don't want to mention. Compare to them, IMHO, instrument collection for investment purpose doesn't seem too bad.

5. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I don't think I know of one collector that keeps a guitar in a display case to sell. On the other hand, I know countless dealers that keep guitars in display cases to sell.

6. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    Oh boy, this thread is going THAT way already....

Maybe the employees get together and have a jam session at the end of the day....it's possible.

7. Electricblue

Electricblue

Feb 1, 2011
    Norfolk
    I suppose, but if I owned a one-off bass, I would play it until I passed away. I don't care how much it is worth when I'm dead.

Somebody will want to play it eventually, so if you possess it, why not play it?

8. Instruments are meant to be played, not put on display!

9. boriology101

boriology101

Feb 19, 2008
    OREGON
    But anything valuable can be displayed and it can also do its good purpose... collecting instruments for investments shouldn't be that bad IMO.

10. I'd bet on it!

I saw that roller coaster too, and I noticed the same thing, darn shame - but they have the money to do it. I guess the bassist in aerosmith isn't gonna play a squier :p

11. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Well, people are different. Most people do play one-off/valuable instruments. They just don't play them out, and I can't say I blame them.

12. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Never go to a Hard Rock Cafe.

13. boriology101

boriology101

Feb 19, 2008
    OREGON
    Oh by the way, I also get pissed off by that Disney display. I oppose THAT kind of display :) I hope they all got totally broken pieces for free or cheap money.

14. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    I would bet anything that Tom Hamilton donated that gear to the Disney ride.

15. Okay, okay...

GOOD instruments are meant to be played.

:bag:

16. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Haha, didn`t know that.
    I`m planning to go there in a couple years, so maybe I`ll check out if that gear is still there.

17. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    "Donated" for a nice big check in return.

18. autodidact

autodidact

Mar 13, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    I forgot the '58 Les Paul and the Fender Super Reverb in the lobby. Yikes

19. boriology101

boriology101

Feb 19, 2008
    OREGON
    :eek::eek::eek:

20. smcd

smcd Supporting Member