1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Expensive ric 4003 or G&l

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hambone1, Sep 12, 2008.

1. hambone1

hambone1

Sep 13, 2006
    I think the 4003 is great but it is expensive and hard to get hold of. In light of this, I have looked at other basses of all kinds. I'm really interested in the g&l 2000 tribute. Very good reviews and affordable. Is the tribute really quality to the point where if I bought it instead of the ric I would not feel that Isettled?

I know these are very different basses but what would you guys do?

2. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I am a similar, but not exact, position...I have a Geddy and love it, but since I joined my most recent band, I have been GASing for more tonal options at my disposal. THAT is the G&L...a swiss army knife of basses (I dont mean that in a bad way, just that it can cover a lot of ground).

You are right that the Rick and G&L are worlds apart, and I dont think just getting a G&L when you are lusting after a Rick will do it though. If you could do it, Id save up for the Rick and if that doesnt work out, get the G&L.

3. i_g55

i_g55

May 26, 2005
    istanbul
    I own both a Ric 4003 and a G&L L-1500. My G&L is a US made single-PU model but I've also tried the Tribute L-2000. If you're playing rock stuff, you can't go wrong with either. I also use my L1500 for latin & jazz gigs, too. Both are versatile axes with their own character, but the G&L has a more modern edge to it.

4. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    I've had my G&L L2000 for 15 years, and I don't ever plan on getting rid of it. Its my favorite that I own, and one of my favorite basses in general. It is the Swiss army knife of basses, in a good way.

That said, I have wanted a Ric for as long as I have been playing. And I will have one someday.......

Point is, you may very well be quite happy with a G&L, but you really have to ask yourself if you'd be happy without the Ric.

5. hambone1

hambone1

Sep 13, 2006
    How did you find the quality of the tribute to be? I.e. did it feel/play as good as the U.S.?

6. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think a used US-made G&L would be more comparale quality-wise to a US-made Ric. The Tributes are definitely quality instruments for the price (I own an older Tribute ASAT Special guitar that beats the crap out of any other guitar I've tried), but the US G&Ls are available with many more options and in my opinion are built to a little higher quality standards. It is easy enough to find a used US G&L on Ebay that will fit your needs for just a couple hundred dollars more than a new Tribute, and the used prices are only going up on US G&Ls, so you should be able to recover your money if you need to sell it (not the case with buying a new Tribute)..I was actually in a similar boat when I bought my first G&L (was really drooling about owning a Ric, but decided to check out G&L based on things I'd read and to save a little cash), and I've since become a bit of a G&L freak (I've bought 4 more, though I only still have 1- my favorite of the group, a 1982 L2000). Some things that people said to me when I asked this question that I found to be true: 1. you won't be able to make it sound like a Ric, because nothing else will and 2. a G&L will ergonomocally feel completely different than a Ric- Rics have thin necks with closely-spaced strings, whereas G&Ls are generally based around a Fender P-bass feel-wise (though several different neck profiles are available, they are all fairly Fender-esque). Rics are some of the most uncomfortable fingerstyle basses I've ever played due to the raised and non-contoured top section of the body (something that I hear takes some getting used to- like playing a Les Paul guitar). My L2000 is one of the most comfortable basses I've ever played fingerstyle or with a pick- it just feels "right" and has since I first picked it up!

Karl

7. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    There will be little to no quality differences between the tribute and the Ric (from experience). Playability out of the box will most likely be a little better on the Ric, depending on how low you want your action. The L2000 is more versatile as well. The Ric is a Ric though and if that's your thing, the L2K isn't going to satisfy that need.

Dan

8. hambone1

hambone1

Sep 13, 2006
    thanks for the replies.

9. My favorite bass tone in the known universe:

:cool: The Ric 4001. :cool: