Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Expensive rigs that suck?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stinsok, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Ever heard one? I know that amp settings, etc. are personal and taste is subjective, but I heard an all Aguilar rig last weekend that disappointed me (small club.) No one sells them in my area, and I have never been around any. I was expecting sonic bliss. The rig sounded pretty muddy, and I was only 15 feet away. Of course, that may have been the sound he was going for.

2. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Aguilar amps are the most overhyped piece of gear out there. I've never been impressed with their sound. They look great though.

3. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    This guy was a good player, and that blue light was hypnotic!

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i got a GK 1001RB-II for 540 plus tax, sounds great and has a blue light...

:D

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Was it an all Aguilar rig, cabs and all?

6. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Yes, Aguilar head, 210 and 212.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    in the ear of the beholder.

not really a fan of Eden, but i know i'd get taken out back by many of the gents here who swear by 'em. same with EBS, tho Marcus M. in concert literally changed that opinion in a matter of minutes... :D

8. When I played through a big Aguilar head (through a number of different very good speakers), I didn't particularly like it. Very dark, and didn't seem to put out the volume it should have. I did however really like the Aguilar cabinet, and bought a GS212, which I currently use as my only cabinet.

9. ryanowens

ryanowens Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 1, 2004
    Houston
    Trickfish Amplificaton
    just my 2 cents.....but I was VERY dissapointed with a Phil Jones rig I had for a while......

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I've been lucky. I've never owned/used an expensive rig that sucked. ;)

11. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Its all subjective... Look at Basses for example...

Fbass Vs. Nordstrand Vs. Pedulla Vs. Fodera...

When it REALLY come's down to it, NONE of these basses are really *Better* than the other, There just different, but one of them WILL appeal to YOU more...

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    My perception has been sort of the opposite. I have been impressed with Aguilar's amps, but not really enamoured with the sound of their cabs. Personal preferences certainly do vary...

13. I have played through supplied backline that was mediocre at BEST, and pulled a decent tone out of it that I was happy enough with and even had compliments on from other players.
    I have also played through other bassists' rigs in a shared/opening act/multi band type setting, I have played through some awesome rigs that once the guy who actually owned the rig plugged in, he had the worst tone you could imagine. It's not one thing that makes an expensive rig "suck", it can be the player, the EQ settings or almost anything else you can imagine.
    I have had people play on my gear in many situations and my rig has "sucked" when they played my gear, so alot of it IS in your hands, your touch and your positioning.........but honestly, I don't think any of these high end amp makers would still be in business if they had gear that "sucked".

14. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Ampeg SVT and 8x10 Cabinet.

15. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I've got to have blue lights on the front of my amp and I thought I was going to have to fork over the big bucks to get them. Now I hear that GK has blue lights. Way cheaper than Aguilar. What other heads use blue lights? :eyebrow:

16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    So that was you hanging around in my bushes last night.

17. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    The ONLY thing worth considering when saying something sucks is reliability. The cheapest practice combos sound amazing to some people and not to others. Conversely, multi-thousand dollar rigs sound great to some and terrible to others. It really is a matter of what tone you are looking for, and as many stated above, tone is largely in one's hands. I have owned thousand dollar rigs and been pleased with them because I wasn't constantly soldering on them or wondering how long it would be until they totally crapped out. I can't say the same about some of my old POS combos........

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I find Walter Woods' to be the purdiest shade of blue... :cool:

19. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I think the worst sounding rig is my Aguilar 359 and 410 with a bad bass and a bad player. I've never heard a more unforgiving rig in my life. Luckily it sounds like magic with a good bass and hands.

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    amen to that...

after all, isnt that the point? :)