Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Experiece with Warwick Basses??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Warwick Henkie, Jan 22, 2003.

1. I own a 5-string Warwick Streamer Jazzman which i experience as one fin piece of art. Everyday I play it, I fall in love with it, now for some 2 years.
    What is the experience of my fellow bassplayer when it coms dowm to this Gerrman Beauty?

Keep up the bass

Warwick

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
  3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i've had 4 thumb basses, an N/T 4 and 6, and two bolt neck 5 strings...i love 'em...i'm looking into getting a streamer LX 5 string at the moment...and if mr. braatz ever decides to unload his thumb 6 fretless, i'm gonna do what i can to get that too. warwick yummy...

4. Dr.SixString

Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    I have 3 Warwicks right now (see Poll:Warwick bass poll : wich warwick do you play ?).
    Streamers are fine, good balance, great sustain, full and fat low-mids, clear treble tone (especially for the Stage 1),you'll never go wrong with a streamer, they're the best (just a matter of personal taste:)) my '93 corvette proline has a very uniqe sound, great punch, an amazing sustain for a bolt on bass, very bright probably because of the maple neck (custom ordered) with a wenge fingerboard which gives a worm note to the lower (and higher:D) tones (I think it would sound too sterile and too bright if the fingerboard was a maple one, besides the bass has a two piece flame maple body).
    Last year I tried a custom thumb 5 BO with bubinga body, all wenge neck and EMGs, sounded like thunder but the neck was sooo havy, I could barely play that bass...also tried some thumb BO4's which had a little better ballance but still...the neckthrough thumbs MUST not have that problem otherwice I'll not buy the 6 string bubunga thing next mont. Anyways, I'm happy with my three Warwicks and don't really need another one (my house is completely FULL with basses:eek::D )

5. Onesidezero

Onesidezero

Mar 13, 2002
    I love 'em. I've got 2...my current bass right now is my 1990 Streamer Stage II with EMGs, brass nut, and D-tuner...I just love it's passive sound. Growls like nothing else, and just has great punch...and you gotta love the yin-yang inlays.

My other Warwick is a 1998 Thumb bolt-on 4. It's my slapping and tapping bass...not much low-end compared to the streamer, but it's got killer punch and will cut through anything.

here's a (bad) pic of my streamer:
    [​IMG]

6. Well,
    I own a beautiful Warwick Corvette Standard (4strong) I've got about the same feelings about her as you.
    I love every tiny thing about my Warwick... the sound, design, wood, just everything!!!

I haven't many basses in my bass-playing career (which ain't that long either :D ). But I can say I love warwick.
    I played a Streamer 4 and 5string and I loved it A LOT!

I also played a Fender Jazzbass... and found out I did not like it at all... I don't see why people love these guitars. Strange.

Warwick above all!!

7. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    My SSI is second only to my Monarch.
    Doc

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I owned a Fortress Masterman 5 for about 5 or 6 months.

While it was a beautiful bass, I ultimately sold it (to a guy that had a matching 4 string) because it really wasn't for me. I thought that it was the fact that it was a 5 string and I had a 4 string heart.

Turns out that months later, when I bought a Squier P Special 5 during a Sam Ash sale, it was the Warwick I didn't care for, not the extra string.

Different basses inspire us differently. Warwick's don't inspire me (I prefer Fenders)...but they're the be all/end all for someone else. It's wonderfull that they all exist.

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Love my Streamer Stage I 5. Has nice wide string spacing, a nice chunky neck profile, and nice chunky tone. The only thing I don't like is the weight (it's almost all maple).

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I keep wanting a Thumb, but never seem to have the money, or when I do, something more pressing comes up. Maybe in a few years....

11. I think I would like a Thumb 4. I don't deal well with thicker necks though, and the string spacing will probably be too little. I personally like a thin, D-shaped neck back and wide string spacing (on a 5, I like a 1.875'' nut and 3/4'' between the strings at the bridge).

I have heard great things about Warwicks, especially in the agressive midrange.

12. The avatar pic & attatchment show the sunburst, one of my 2 FNA 4's. The other one is natural, and looks like the jpeg of the same model & color available at Warwick's website. I recently changed the necks, moving the 99 wenge from the sunburst to the natural, and sending the ovangkol neck in the opposite direction. What a difference! The sunburst has a growlier presence and a little less boominess; the natural just plain sizzles. I would like to get an FNA Jazzman or Thumb BO4 as my next Warwick.

13. :cool: I currently own an older neck thru Thumb, a 2000 Streamer Stage 2 and a Streamer Stage 1 P/J. The thumb has a very sweet tone when I use the bridge P/U. The Stage 1 is very flexible because of the P/J's and I use it for all different kinds of music. My Stage 2 is the S*^%! I like to roll off some treble and use the neck P/U to get a VERY warm almost vintage sound! I love them all equally and am about to add a Custom Sadowsky to the stable....

ROCK ON!

14. i have a 5 thumb bolt on. i like it but its kinda heavy. you get used to it

15. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    :( I don´t have (yet) any Warwick, but hell, I want ONE or two :cool:

One thing I´m sure, I don´t like any Warwick with sunburst finish, dont know why, they look better in natural, blue, Honey Violin etc etc etc :rolleyes:

16. ive had two thumbs, i like em alot! one i still have. i sold my bolt on 37th anniversary edition w/ ebony board, mec's it sounded like no other. i kept my 86 neckthru thumb bass w/ emg's. im a fenderlover but i find these warwicks to be quite refreshing to play!