Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Experience the Omni 10!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wademeister63, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Today my Omni 10 prototype built by Mr Fitzmaurice himself arrived at my shop. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but will jam on it this weekend either with my band or myself if we can't get together. I haven't had a lot of experience with different cabs, so my observations concerning this cab may not match up very well with those of some more experienced players.

If some experienced folks from the DFW area would care to check out this cab, I would be glad to meet up and give it a go. My work schedule keeps me on the run, but if you are interested send me a PM and we'll set something up. All I ask is that you don't actually try to blow up my cab, you post a review here and you buy the beer.

[​IMG]

2. I'd be up for that if I wasn't 20 hours north of you :(

I am very interested in how the O10 would work as a stand alone. Lurking on Bill's forum, I saw he has certain driver reccomendations for using the O10 as a stand-alone vs. w/ a sub.

How much does it weigh?

3. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Can't wait to read your review on it.

I'd like to build one of those. From the website, it looks like a much easier build than the DR250 that I have the plans for.

4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I read that you can actually make a half-sized version of the omni 10, with a single 10. This would be handy for the small gigs.

5. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    i jsut bought the plans. My plan is to build 2 1/2 omni 10's. 1 for an acquaintance, and one for myself.

No a lot of feedback on these, so i am very pleased to see a few of you showing interest here.

My prediction is that I wil have 1 done in a month. ( being realistic... i have a severly full plate in teh spring!)

It will hopefully replace an EV 112 cab i currenlty use (which ought to be easy since it has no tweeter and has an f3 of approx 180hz!!!!) and, with 2 o-10 halves, perhaps replace my big boxy EV 115.

we;ll see.
    dont forget to revive this thread when you have some reviews... and dont forget pics!

thanks a ton.

6. So are there one or two tens in there? Does that tweeter arrangement make the high end harsh?

7. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    2x10 - but you can build a 1x10 version.

Here's part of the coolness - take a look at:
    http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/plans/product_info.php/products_id/27

See the frequency chart - compare that to your favorite other cabinet.

For the omni 10 - no upper peaks = no "harshness". And you can add an lpad to lower the high-end if you want. For example if your bass amp pushes the highs more since most bass cabinets don't have adequate highs.

8. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Keep us filled in. a freind of mine is a cabinet maker, by trade and is making him and myself each a Omni12. Can't wait to try it. Might like an Omni 10 to go with it. Please let us all know how it sounds!

9. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    So far I like this cab. Compared to my Avatar B115H, the omni 10 is a bit smaller and a bit heavier at 56 pounds and 16" x 20" x 26".

Compared to my SWR Workingmans 210T cab, the Omni sounds fuller and clearer to me. The highs are definately much sweeter with the Omni. Trying it with the SWR Workingman 2004 and Hartke HA3000 heads, I have not heard the boxy tone that my SWR cab can get, and the unpleasant nasal tone I get from my Tribute L2500 bridge pickup is much less pronounced.

I can't really crank it up at home, so the volume shakedown will have to wait. As soon as I get the chance, I'll check it out alongside the B115H and the Bmax/QSC setup.

10. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Thanx for the report. I have my Omni 12 plans and about half the parts collected.

11. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I've had the Omni 15 plans for a little while and hope to start construction on one soon. I'll use my own mid/top horns and just use the LF part of the Omni with a Beyma 15.

12. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    I wouldn't recommend that. If all you need is extra bottom build a Tuba 24 instead. You'll get lower extension and higher sensitivity and the overall size is equivalent.

13. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I also have the T24 plans, which I bought first, but I have limited space and few tools, so the O15 is easier for me to build. My midhorns roll off below about 300Hz. I'll be biamping and I have no shortage of power (2x750W/8R - 12kg). The O15 box also fits into my car better (I've measured them both) and the mid/top box will be seperate.

I've also been designing, building and experimenting with horns for a number of years now.

14. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Why not just stick them in the O15? Unless they're overly deep there should be enough room for them. One less box to carry about.

15. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    They're an existing m/t box that I'm recycling into this project. The three boxes (O15 bottom, my M/T and rack) should stack nicely onto my collapsible stairwalker trolley, so load in/out should be two trips; one for the rig and one for the basses. A number of smaller component boxes also makes more sense to me in my application as it means that each box is smaller and lighter and easier to manhandle into my awkwardly shaped car, even if the total mass is greater. When I get my new ute (SUV) it won't be so much of an issue.