Experience using guitar distortion pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PortableMadness, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Who's using one without loss of bass? I've seen a couple of videos using one and it's looks promising. Can't seem to find a bass pedal to get me that certain metal distortion for my band.

2. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    You've come to the right place. I play heavier music and there are lots of dudes on here who play heavier music than me.

Do you want a Guitar Center/Sam Ash-type pedal or are you looking for something boutique?
    Budget?
    Set up?

PS - to everyone who reads this thread: please don't give him a friggin' list of what pedal you like...let the dude answer my questions before we blow this thread up haha :). k luv u

3. ds1 and hothead are great for the dfa1979 tone

4. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    If you're talking about using one specifically for a loud band then you probably shouldn't go with anything that doesn't have a clean blend or some way to retain your lows or else you'll disappear.

5. rratajski

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    ...and they're off! hahahaha ;)

6. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    I used an MXR pedal for a horrible sounding scratchy no-low end sound.

7. There's really not much for bass that retains the low end and doesn't get farty or mushy. A clean blend is the way to do it. That really opens things up, you can use basically ANY distortion pedal and not lose bottom end. It's well worth the investment to get a blend pedal.

8. At this point anything, it doesn't matter if it's boutique or mass produced. I just need something to give me certain kind of distortion. For reference, here is a close sample of what I'm looking for, maybe a tad bit more distortion, but you get the idea:

http://www.tonefinder.com/files/73-BASSonly.mp3

The rig I'm using is a 5 string Schecter Omen w/EMG 40dc pickups, Mesa M6 and Ampeg 8x10. I already tried using the sansamp bddi, but it didn't quite cut it.

9. RGSA

RGSA

Oct 12, 2011
    I have and use one of the simple orange Boss boxes, and there isn't that much of a loss of low end, at least in my experience.

10. rratajski

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    The clip you included had some bass loss, but it almost sounds like a musicman stingray. You can get there with a RAT/RAT clone with the double resistor mod or OCD/OCD clone since the bddi didn't do it for you. That clip also sounds like a direct line.

I beg to differ. In the boutique world, there are maaaaaaaany options for guitar pedals that are bass-friendly. For some, a clean blend kills the distorted tone...it just depends on the band and the mix/eq. I do agree a blend is a good investment though! The boss ls-2 is a safe staring point!

11. That clip was recorded using a Line 6 POD. I believe the patch was ENGL Powerball and 4x12 cab sim. That's the sort of tone I'm going for and yeah, ideally my live tone will have more bass.

12. rratajski

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    You could try to biamp and buy a engl powerball head hahhaha

Start with my pedal suggestions above. Also fresh roundwound strings (dr hi beams) while favoring your bridge pickup would play a big role in that sound!

13. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Check out the Boss MD-2 - they have clips with bass on the website.
    I have no experience with it, but it sounds better in the clip, than my (original) DS-1 did with my rig - too much low end loss to be really useable on that one.

14. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    The stuff I play is in no way heavy. But for distortiony distortion I use a BOSS MT-2, lots of people here don't like it, but it's fine for me, might be for you too. It takes some tweaking of the knobs and playing around with though.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021