Experience w/ Sennheiser 1092 Digital wireless?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gfab333, May 3, 2003.

1. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Anyone try these? MSRP is $795 and MF is selling them for $299. The frequency response is 20Hz - 15Hz so it should work for a 5 string.

It's a digital wireless; how might that affect tone?
    The MF site says that it has "no compander circuit for authentic wired sound and response". What's that?

Looks like a good deal, but how do they sound?
  2. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I can't give you any comments on how it works, yet, but I took the plunge on one. But I went with
    Northern Sound and Light where they've got it for $258.70. I wish I could remember exactly where I saw it first (either here or another bass board) so I could give credit to the kind soul who pointed out this deal.
  3. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Cool! we look forward to your review.
  4. farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    people seem hot or cold about these. I'm probably getting one soon, some guy stepped on my current cheap wireless and broke it . . . .
  5. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

OK, the wireless arrived yesterday and I gave it the once over. No gigs for quite a while so a full "real world" checkout will have to wait.

It came in a foam-lined plastic carrying case (nice touch) with cutouts for all of the various pieces/models. The transmitter has a nice metal casing and seems very solid and sturdy. The receiver has a plastic casing and is surprisingly light and probably not up to much abuse.

Since it was late and everyone else was sleeping I used a headphone amp to check it out. Through the headphone amp I could not hear any difference between the wireless and a cord on my G&L SB-2 (4 string). I'm a dedicated 4-stringer so I didn't get to check anything lower than E (but the system specs claim it goes down to 20Hz).

Because of the hot output from the G&L I had to crank the level way down on the transmitter to avoid "lighting up the highest light" on the receiver signal meter (the proper way to set it up according to the manual). The adjustable output level let me get louder than the G&L itself if I wanted.

I switched channels around to make sure they all worked and it was silent when I did this (no noise/static/etc.) and the receiver was on a different channel from the transmitter. Even during the switch itself it just went from no sound to instrument sound.

I was checking it out in a small room so I didn't get any distance checking. I'll take it to practice when we audition some drummers next week (our drummer is moving out front to sing and play keyboards) and see how far I can get before it drops out.

I've read some reports that it will eat batteries fairly quickly but with my infrequent gigging schedule that won't matter. And I like the idea of not being grounded (I step up to the mic occasionally) and being able to check out the FOH sound during soundchecks. I don't expect to be getting up on the bar during the show (I'm one of those stereotypical "something-less-than-animated" bass players).

Based on first impressions I'm happy with how it sounds and the bang for the buck.
  6. I went through two of those units about a year ago. I sent both of them back. Sounds like the same unit I tried but they called it the 1000. I play every weekend and one battery would last only 2 at best 3 sets. I liked the transmitter but I thought the reciever was very cheap. My daughters toys were built better. For the same money I bought a Carvin U7500 GT full rack wireless system. This thing is built like a tank and with my Cirrus 18V I can't tell any difference in the sound. The Sennheiser sounded good when it worked but both of the ones I tried started sending out all kinds of weird sounds and hissing no matter how I adjusted my amp, guitar or frequency. Like I said before the reciever just didnt look or feel like it was going to last through any constant weekend gigging. Also if you want to rack mount the thing you have to shell out more cash to get the needed accessories from Sennheiser. Hope you have better luck than I did.
  7. farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    jbplayer, did your quality issues arise right out of the box? If it took longer for the hissing to appear, how long did it take?
  8. LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.

I had the SAME experience.

I got one, sent it in for service, got it back, still no good, got a new unit, still no good.

I also thought it sounded very good when it worked, but, just as jbplayer said, it developed 'weird sounds'. Crackling, hissing, distortion, ect. all appeared within the first few hours of use with each unit.

Sennheiser makes good products. I have owned quite a few over the years and, with this exception, all have been of very high quality and problem free.

At that price it may be worth a try because the sound was very good.

I now use a Shure ULX. I like it.
  9. Farboozle,the first one started acting up after about 6 hours of use ( and two batteries) and the second one after about one hour.
  10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I like my XWire better, which Sennheiser got the technology from. Sennheiser did cut some corners making thier version (less bit resolution, cheesy manufacturing). They sound ok, but I would worry about it's build quality standing up to onstage shenanigans of my death metal polka band.

I predict this thread will be shuffled off the misc. pretty soon.