1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Experience with companies to get rights to record covers

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by atticpenny, Mar 6, 2013.

1. atticpenny

atticpenny Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Virginia
    Hey everyone. I've searched through the forums, but only found questions about whether or not bands have to or should feel obligated to pay for rights to record covers.

I didn't see much about people's experiences with the companies that exist to do that. Also, most of the threads were old and things change... So...

I've seen two companies mentioned in the threads:

Harry Fox Agency and
    Limelight (songclearance.com)

Anyone have specific experiences with either or both? What did you think? Any other companies I should consider as well?

Thanks in advance!

2. are you planning on selling the recording? as far as i remember rights are pretty cheap to a lot of songs and its the correct thing to do. unless you'd like me to use your original material for my own monetary gain and not compensate you.

3. It is cheap to do... I went through Harry Fox for a couple recordings and later made arrangements directly with the publisher. It really was, for me, just submitting the paperwork and a check. It could've been anyone on the other end as far as dealing with the agency. When I dealt with the publisher directly, it was more involved. I had to submit the recording and then I got a call from a member of the band to wish me well and just have a chat. I was able to get a much better deal that way and it was tailored to the type of release I was doing.

If you're going to sell or distribute the recording in any way you need to get a mechanical license or you are opening yourself up to a much larger chunk of change through a lawsuit, and they will probably find out that you're distributing their stuff...

4. atticpenny

atticpenny Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Virginia
    I'm not sure you understood my post. Perhaps I was vague. I am specifically asking about experiences with the companies who handle the process, not whether or not I should pay. My point is that I am going to pay. I just want to know if people had positive or negative experiences with the companies.

One company may be better/easier/cheaper than the other.
    Thanks!